Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to fish weekdays since it is much less crowded on water tan weekends. Forgot today was holiday for government / some businesses - Sandy Point was busy at 8 am. I'm thinking also the windy weekend curtailed many from fishing.

Got launched and my friend John was there with a dozen prized bloodworms and ice. We idled out and took time to find Spot. Got set just right in 17 feet as incoming current was running. Breeze from north west was light.

Nice steady bite of Spot with only a few small Perch mixed in. We discussed where to go - heard of good bite south east but friends said crowded.

Decided to run north along 30 foot line. Nice thing with Simrad unit - reads at 25-30 knots so can search while running. Saw a few boats scattered - mix of drifting and anchored. Meter light up - nice fish 20 to 25 feet down.

With incoming current pushing into the north west breeze - boat stayed almost still. We flipped Spot over - casting south ( gently ) so Spot could swim deep. No doubt as they got to about 20 feet - line was jumping around and then peeling off. John got a 23 - my Rock missed hook up. No big deal as next Spot got hit - about 22 incher. It was about 9 :30 - we both laughed.

Ran short distance to some shell bottom in 20 feet and anchored. Just a perfect morning - low humidity and breeze dropping out. Using strips of Spot - we had nice bite of 8-10 inch Perch with a few smaller ones mixed in. Got a few Spot as well. Few double headers on the Perch.

Put about a dozen Perch in cooler for John - then current was slowing down. Rays were chasing each other across surface.

Pulled anchor and ran to area I lost my anchor in early April. I dove for it two week ago but no luck.
Got to GPS #'s and dropped a 5 lb dive weight on line under a jug. Had to be almost on it.

Move boat about 100 feet away and dropped anchor - drifting back close to jug. Put up dive flag - geared up and went over - water cool but not bad. Once on bottom - hammer stake in and then put another one on bottom. Idea is to search 360* - coming to stake laying on bottom.

Went around few times and found stake I lost last dive. Cool - had to be close. Kept waiting for close encounter of the winged critters but they let me alone today. Heard a boat engine close by - wondered if DNR ? Few more times around and found anchor. Put lift bag one it but just enough to make it neutral. I completed circle to find stakes laying on bottom - then reeled back to center stake. Put kiss more air in bag and slowly swam up to surface.

John had to idle boat against anchor about 50 feet - wind / current had swung it away from me.

Got the anchor in and pulled up jug / weight. John told me a small boat idled near despite a 4 foot dive flag flying high. I stay down when I near engine close.

May be an image of outdoors

John ran boat back as I put dive gear away. Had to cringe at boat ramp - 3/4 of ramps taken , trailers being jack knifed , boats cruising in throwing wakes ( minimum wake zone ). Reminded why I avoid weekends / holidays. Was able to get empty ramp and quickly pulled boat on trailer.

Hope to get out Weds - should be back to the normal light weekday crowd.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
We usually only fish Friday, M had to work Saturday so we went Sunday. There weren't many people where we were, I guess they heard the wind report and stayed away. The traffic on the way home, holy hell. So glad I go up 301 instead of the bay bridge now. It's 15 miles longer, but usually 30 minutes faster. Nice report Skip, I always enjoy your diving/fishing threads.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Skip,
Nice post as usual. Must be startling to have a curious cownose ray brush you in murky water. I’d gulp in some water if one approach out of nowhere.
ACG

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Nice job on the anchor and fish Skip. The nice thing for me up north is I don't see a lot of other boats like mine fishing like I do. My 19' skiff allows me to do shoreline fishing. I do have several shorelines with deep drop offs that hold nice stripers. I also have a discharge that holds fish. Most of my issues are the crabbers in the area that are in the same areas that I fish. Oh well, we all have to share the waters and I always have a plan B.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts