Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that the bilge pump always craps the bed at the worst possible times? It is a universal phenomona that it will go die only when waves are breaking over the bow and the ambient water level in the boat is in the vicinity of the laces on your deck shoes. I do find it ironic however that the pump will work indefinitely during a rainstorm in my front yard. It will work so well as a matter of fact that it will bore its large counterpart the battery completely to sleep in the event I forget to turn off the switch. The aforementioned only seems to happen when I am away from home on an extended trip. Curious indeed.

As long as we are pondering “why”, lets take a look at this interesting phenomona as well. Have you ever set and anchor and managed to send out the rode with a kink hitched in it? Well in case you haven’t tried that trick yet I’ll tell you of the interesting outcome. At some juncture you will notice that your boat is moving, usually in a stern too fashion. You will think this curious at first, only because your brain is expecting a relatively stationary condition as the boat hangs on its anchor. Don’t dispare. Eventually you thoughts will turn to that anchor you tied off some time ago and you will go check on it. You will soon discover that at the end of the rode where your anchor used to be, you now have a three stranded snarly mess, closely resembling your wifes hair when she first wakes in the morning… No honey your hair looks wonderful this morning. Now this is where it gets curious. A kink in an anchor line can and will cause it to part prematurely. We’ve established that as fact. However, if you should try and reproduce this failure by inadvertently inserting a foot, hand, finger, I shudder to think of anything else you could insert, you will immediately and painfully come to the rationalization that there is not a body part around that can reproduce that failure causing kink. Quite the opposite in fact. From the feel of that line constricting around my ankle, I would have to guess that my life blood is passing out of my foot and directly into the line giving it the supernatural strength to squeeze ever tighter. You may even compare it to an immortal form of a synthetic anaconda. No that anchor rode will never break when wrapped around your ankle. Curious.

Speaking of supernatural anomalies, who can tell me what it is with Coast Guard peronell and navigation lights. Judging from my past experiences I have come to the conclusion that some where along the line in their Coast Guard training these folks are exposed to a high level magnetic field. This field must alter their genetic make-up to some degree. It would seem that through my observations that a Coastie can not get within twenty feet of a navigation light with out causing its complete and total failure. How else would you explain time and time again a navigation light that WILL NOT emit even the smallest photon of light during an inspection. The light worked fine that morning and it miraculously springs back to life latter in the day, but it WILL NOT work in the presence of and orange and black coat… Near as I can figure that light bulb must get a feeling very similar to me trying to pee with my back turned to a large crowd. Poor little light bulb…

These are the things that confuse me…

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Ha! - All good stuff.

Just a hint on your anchor rode. Get moving at a fast idle, and pay it all out behind you for 10 mins or so to remove any twists you gathered over the course of the season.

Something else that helps - Put your anchor rode in a mesh bag and throw it in the washing machine with some fabric softener. Along with your bow line etc.

Finally - on navigation lights. Despite the seal that seems to be fine, saltwater gets in. A coat of grease or CorrosionX on the ends of the bayonet bulb will keep them working until they actually blow out.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Travis you just have too much time on your hands today, but your right WHY is a good question. :censored:

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
My question would be

And just how do that little bulb know????

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Why do you always catch the biggest fish during closed season-when you are alone and no camera ?:rolleyes:

Why do they stop making your favorite rod/lure or reel ?

Why does this winter seem so long ? Skip

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent brothers,
Gee....stuff like that never happens to me. Guess I'm just lucky ;)

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Keep on writing my man, always a good read from you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts