Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday may have been my best fishing in a couple of years. Headed to the upper Bay and found some marks fairly quickly. Just a few scattered, nothing clumped up. Started catching right away but not hot and heavy. Nothing over 25 inches for the first hour. Then things got slow for about an hour. (Where we were there was no way to know for sure what the tide was up to but it was predicted to be slack an hour later in the evening.) We debated moving but we know there were fish here so we just kept jigging away. For the last two hours, we absolutely smoked 'em! Kept drifting over the same spot for four hours and I am glad we did.

I reported our Monday morning trip in my "Frustrations" post. Matt and I went out with another friend and got 'em real good that morning. Matt and I did, anyway. Our friend, who is every bit the fisherman we are, could not buy a bite. I bet there had been 50 fish landed before he caught his first fish. We have all been there before and it can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes, the fish gods curse you and deem that you shall not catch fish this day.

But I have never seen a stinky rod like our poor friend last night. This guy is a little older and does not fish nearly as much. Matt and I had landed at least 50 apiece. My last dozen or so were over 26 inches with a few at 30 or so. This poor guy managed to hook one fish, fight it for 10 seconds, lost it and never hooked another! Matt and I have very different fishing styles but both were working well. Toward the end, we were even catching on a straight retrieve, not even bottom jigging like we usually have to. Fish were all through the column. Our poor friend just could not catch them no matter what he tried. Matt and I kept trying to change the subject, it was just embarrassing. Curse of the stinky rod at its worst!

Only took a couple of crappy pictures. We were fishing BARBLESS half ounce jigs with skirts and soft plastics. We were in 20 to 24 feet of water. We were all alone.

Pat

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congrats on a great day of fishing. I couldn't help but notice how nice of a boat you have. Do you have any pictures of it?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would think after 25 years I would have a decent picture but I don't. Just fish pictures.

Pat

·
Registered
638 Posts
Great job on the fish. It's crazy how some days are. One time last year there were 3 of us on a 19' skiff casting storm shads to the shoreline. My buddy in the middle caught all 3 of the keepers on the boat that day. It was the only 3 stripers caught that day.

Mike

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Awesome Pat, well for the two of you anyway. :oops: (y)
When things like that happen, give him your rod and you take his and see if it makes a difference.
Sometimes there is a foul odor on a person's hands that has gotten on the lure. That's a reason I use sent at times.
When my Dad was with me and catching while I wasn't, he'd say, "Are you holding your tongue right?" ;):LOL:
I miss him every day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think we have all held the stinky rod at times but damn, the fishing gods were seriously letting him have it! If you allow him to reel in a bigger fish, and he releases it...the fishing gods may look favorably on him and allow him to begin catching....or not. Thanks for the report! Matt L. looks happy, knew him back in SP many years ago.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,149 Posts
Whenever a situation like that happens on my boat (Guest not catching when all other are) I remove the lure from my rod and give it to the non catcher. After considering the alternatives, that's the least I could do.;)

Matter of fact, this happened just a few days ago. The non catcher began catching. He was happy!
We all were happy.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Awesome Pat, well for the two of you anyway. :oops: (y)
When things like that happen, give him your rod and you take his and see if it makes a difference.
Sometimes there is a foul odor on a person's hands that has gotten on the lure.
Bingo! Next time bring some Purel
I bet your buddy is a smoker.l

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions fellas - next time I will know what to do!

Bucktales - Matt is a hell of a sportsman. I bet I know more of your old SP buddies than you do - seems like the whole school has moved over to the shore!

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts