Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions on custom rod builders in the area. Who's the one to talk to? Looking for conventional rod, G-loomis or St. Croix blanks, custom wrapping, naming, etc. I've been searching the internet and I'm not really coming up with any good looking choices. Thanks for the help!

Fishy1

·
Registered
218 Posts
give me a call and I will recommend a guy to you that does top notch work and very good prices for those of us that have to hide money from our significant other to buy them

804-731-9856

warren

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Here on the board is Bayrunnerrods and he make some real nice ones. I think Bitemysister on the board makes rods as well. J&B rods in Va Bch is a good shop as well and makes quality stuff. Good luck. Martin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DIY

By the way, I've seen tons of DIY kits on the internet but I know my patience level.....has anyone done their own rods? How long, How much practice, etc? The kits run about $150, then you still gotta buy blanks, guides and stuff. Looks like I would spend more to do a rod or 2 than if I just paid the experts what the experts should be paid.

Fishy1

·
Registered
486 Posts
Custom Rods

J&B. If you walk in with cash, you can get a great deal! Jessie will also repair that custom rod the first time free.

·
Registered
354 Posts
BISHOPS in Hampton RT 17 does good work and is reasonable. Seen some of his work and he did my buddys offshore rods.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Captn Steve's Custom Tackle....suffolk 484 5819....from Kids Rods....to 130 Class Rods.....surf Spin Anything You Want.....

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
460 Posts
Fishy, You can build your own with out the kit. I started out custom rods for profit many years ago when I was in the bait and tackle business. After selling out I kept the equipment and now do it for a hobby. If you want to build one you can level the blank in a home built jig and use a book to adjust the tension on the thread. Dale Clemens put out a good book a few years back called the Custom Rod builders Guide. If you can find one it will sure help you understand the ins and outs of rod building. If I can do it anybody can.
mudhole.com has some good buys on supplies now.

BTW I am not taking anything away from the guys that do it for a living. I have seen some of J & B and Bishops work and they both build some nice rods. If you decide to do it yourself get a book.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Wayne Foukes 481-4107, the only guy that does my rods.

SAME HERE - WHAT A GREAT JOB HE DID - PERFECT- DID 2 WHILE I WAITED (AND WHAT A TREAT TO WATCH HIM WORK) LEFT A PENN SENATOR TO HAVE ALL NEW ROLLERS AND BUTT REPLACED.....AWESOME IS THE ONLY WORK TO DESCRIBE IT.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Wayne is laid up right now, he just had some surgery, but is a great rod/reel guy, and at his age can still outcast most people I know.

·
Registered
365 Posts
custom rods

I have used custom made rods for over 50 years and without any question, the best rods I have had made have been from Niel Drumheiler at Severn Wharf Custom Rods. Neil is located at York Yatch Haven. I don't think my spelling is correct, but he is in the book under York County/ Glouester. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rod Builders

When talking rod builders there are plenty of names that I can think of. JB makes nice rods but if you want your custom to be something built for you and not look like most of the other the builder makes I would suggest Ronnie Hargrove (If thats how you spell his last name) He will build the rod and have it back to you within no time, the only problem would be getting the specific blank that you mentioned. Bishops in Hampton would be the next best place to go more than likely he will have the St. Croix and possibly the G-loomis blanks on hand. He does pretty work on everything from fighting rods, heavers, to ultralight freshwater tackle. The best thing is that your CUSTOM won't look like 300 other anglers from either builder.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I second Ronny,I've got a complete off-shore set of standups and all have held up great.Ronny also has a lot of blanks that he keeps on hand for different appications. His #is 757-588-0419.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
i live in mathews and a god friend of mine makes all my rods and does excellent work and has some blanks in stock. depending what you are looking for. call me at 804-854-8988 and i will give his number and if you want i will show you some of the rods he has made me. just bought a flounder rod this weekend and looks great and he color matches all my rods. fishnfirefighter11

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rods

Grafton Fishing Supply on Rte 17 did some for my friend and they did an awesome job. They also fixed all my reels in a timely and professional manner and they also back their work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts