Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get some custom rods built and hoped someone could refer me to a local rod builder. Thanks in advance:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thumbs up for Ken Preston

I can vouch for Ken's skill, and his prices are almost too good to be true. Drop him a line.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Ditto for Steve F rods Mike Burgess has been on a mission to get his to break and has so far been unsuccessful

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Steve F?

I've heard a lot of good things about Steve F's customs rods on this board - does anyone know if he has a website or if he will be at any of the shows this season? Thanks - Andy

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I don't buy rods off the shelf any more. I have Steve custom build them for me. I'm pretty picky with my rods more so than my reels. I like extended cork handles with fast acting tips and varying degrees of backbone and I require a one piece 7' blank. I've tried them all including Loomis which came the closest to what I wanted. Well to make along story short I contacted Steve and told him what I wanted and was delivered the "perfect rod" within 2 weeks. Now when I need to have another one made Steve already knows what I like and I just tell him the wgt class and either spinning or bait casting. Matter of fact I'm looking a new one he delivered just before Christmas - can't wait to use it. Hope the helps.

BTW use the members list under Steve F for contact info. Make sure you use Steve F with a space between Steve and the F. There another forum member named SteveF (no space). He'll probably chime in on this thread anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Thanks so much for the plug guys I really appreciate it. Mike has been trying but so far so good :D

J.W.D.- If you would like to give me a call we can talk about what you would like or shoot me a Private Message with your phone number and I'll give you a call. Cell-240-674-0615 if I can't answer please leave a mesage and I'll get back to ya.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Heck, I can't even catch fish on an Ugly Stick anymore. They won't bite unless i'm holding my custom jigging stick made by Steve F

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Heck, I can't even catch fish on an Ugly Stick anymore. They won't bite unless i'm holding my custom jigging stick made by Steve F
Glad you brought that up. When you order a rod from Steve make sure you tell him you want a CATCHIN' rod. It's different from a FISHIN' rod.:D :D It has something to do with ******* mojo.:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Nick, that is a good one, you know I use to build fishing rods but I really concentrating on building those "Catching Rods". Just ask Rod Rice I built him a 28 Special but it turned into a 44 Magnum while he was at the CBBT last week. Thanks for everything Nick….

Thanks Mike we have to get together very soon on the river they aer still around.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Steve i'm planning on putting my boat up bear creek next year so you'll see alot of me on the river next season.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i just order 2 rods from steve f. great guy to talk to .. full of info.
i got hot tips from steve on braid and the proper eyelits and such..
with the blue titianium highlights ..
these rods may be too pretty to use..
i think my fenwicks may collect some dust this spring..

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Doug, it was great talking to you yesterday and I told the wife about the colors, reel seat and guides that you picked out and she thinks it's going to be a nice looking rod. I order everything last night and I should have it by the middle of next week. Thanks again Doug and I will be in touch.

Andy-I know that once you get that new house built you will have a wall just for those Custom built rods you have but I bet Beth will have hers up there as well. Looking foward to our trip down South just hope those flat boys are around.... Capt. Skip maybe tagging along with us as well do you have room at your place if we need it??????

Mike-I know that you have been trying to make those rods 2-piece and I think that the 2000lb whale just might do it. Have a great time in the deep blue…

1 - 20 of 32 Posts