Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and caught some herring this evening to use tomorrow on the Flats. Whats the best way to cut them up. Should I fillet them and store in a freezer bag inside the refrigerator ? Also, will live herring work better cause I could catch some first thing in the morning? How do you keep them alive?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Huskyjerk,
I caught 7 fish this past weekend. 2 on live herring and 5 on cut fillet herring. I would freeze them until tomorrow and then fillet the whole side of each fish getting 2 fillets per fish. Large baits + large catch!

brian

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I always cut my Herring in about 1 1/2" - 2" slices, I know big baits equal big fish but I've always done better with smaller cut baits. Any clues where you found the Herring, I wouldn't mind getting a few for a back up plan for when I finally get to the flats. You could keep them alive in your boat livewell or a cooler, just be sure to change the water maybee each day

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you can get herring to liveline that is the way to go. They won't last as long as spot, but you will catch some really nice fish with live herring. If you go with cut bait-FRESH has always worked best for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any clues where you found the Herring, I wouldn't mind getting a few for a back up plan for when I finally get to the flats.

I know there are herring in Furnace Creek in Perryville off of Rte. 7. I caught mine in Swan Creek. Turn off Rte. 40 in HDG onto Robinhood Rd, 1/4 mile on the left side is a trailer park called Swan Harbor Dell. There is a bridge at the entrance way, under the bridge is a nice hole. Three throws of the cast net almost filled a 5 gallon bucket.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
dang it husky

you got me all excited, that bridge is right by my house. I'm back in titan terrace, would be very convienient to hit that spot, grab some herring and head out to the flats.

What about back in swan harbor farm? legal there?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you can keep them alive then they will work best. But cut works great. Im gonna give it a try here soon. I got around 200 of them so im set for bait.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do you guys fish herring weighted or weightless? Do you fish any type of structure on the flats? I've only tried bait once. I was in the shipping channel with one line on the bottom and one without weight. I didn't get anything cause it was so rough, I only fished there for about an hour. What part of the tide is best? Does the tide really matter this time of year?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts