Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on ebay they have quite a few auctions for Dacron braided "IGFA" green spot line in many sizes. I normally use the power pro but I was wondering if anybody was fimiliar with type of line. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I been using dacron braid for backing. Its much thicker than PP. Got a BIG spool at a clearance sale.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Dacron is old school and has been around for years. It's made from the PET which is the same materials that they make soda bottles out of. It’s larger in diameter than “braid” and its no where the strength of the present day braids which are made from Kevlar and the likes.

I use mainly as backing since it doesn't stretch like mono.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use Dacron for Trolling Stripers. 30lb test works well & is easy on the thumbs. It doesn't stretch like mono & knots hold well. Floats more then PP & consequently takes more lead to get down deep & stay there but I prefer it to Power pro because it is so much cheaper. ( penny a foot ) If you get a tangle just cut it out & keep on going.

My normal spread is 4 wire lines down deep & 4 dacron lines, two on top & two shallow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dacron is old school and has been around for years. It's made from the PET which is the same materials that they make soda bottles out of. It's larger in diameter than "braid" and its no where the strength of the present day braids which are made from Kevlar and the likes.

I use mainly as backing since it doesn't stretch like mono.
You are right Dacron is pretty old, actually been around longer than mono. It is not Polyethylene though, it is Polyester. It is only slightly thinner than the same mono, and IGFA means that it will break at or BELOW the said lb class. Normal lines must break above the pound test. IGFA lines are for people going for records.
There are no more lines that I am award of that use Kevlar. Pretty much all use Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene otherwise known as Spectra (made by Honeywell) or Dyneema TM(made by DSM) They are the same thing but different trade names. The same material in milk jugs but the processing makes them many times stronger than steel. The actual fishing line companies get the line from Honeywell or DSM and put their own technology into the braiding and coating of the line. My guess is that Spectra is about 2.5 times thinner than the same Dacron.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use dacron on all rods. 50lb in spring and 30 in the summer. I like it because as one said earlier, its easy on the thumbs and is thinner than mono. I like the no stretch aspect of it as well. Never had a problem with it breaking. Will continue using it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I bought a spool of that .030" dia. off e-bay several years ago and use it as an inexpensive alternative to 40# mono on my flat lines when fishing the upper water column. This will be the forth season on it and have yet to see any noticable chaffing. In fact its held up better than the fusion spectra.

·
Registered
477 Posts
4 wirelines, now you're talking! Why haven't we fished together before? Say you hate planer boards. Do you have a single sister?:thumbup:
As a matter of fact, I do hate planer boards! I have outriggers & know how to use them. Wire off the back of the boat & gunnals, Dacron off the outriggers. Everyone knows where my lines are running cause they can see 'em!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts