Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which reel would you prefer to bottom fish with for sea bass, lings, togs, etc... by the way im lookin at the daiwa saltist thats a LW and is hi-spd.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
There really isn't too much of a difference in the two. The best thing to do is to pick them both up and I figure out which feels the best to you. I'm guessing one will feel better in your hands.

·
Registered
367 Posts
For the price of that Shimano, I would look at the Torium. No level wind, but much higher speed - 6.2:1. Looks to be much the same reel, just not levelwind or line counter.

matt

·
Registered
335 Posts
tekota is fast but saltist is faster at about 6.1 :1 retrieve ratio....saltist isn't a bad real...doesn't have a ton of drag but is capable...that being said...i love my tekota 800 and have caught numerous species of bottom fish on the reel...and i would have to probably recommend it... especially if your not going to be jigging with it and your going to be fishing with bait on the bottom....if you have too fast of a retrieve sometimes it can work against you while fighting a fish from the bottom by making the fish spin on its way up and pop off....hope that helps

cheers
carey

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I own 3 Tekota's...300, 500 & 600. Great reels, like most Shimano products. The drags are silky smooth!!. I have used the Saltist as well and it seems to be a very well made product also. If you are focusing on togs at the CBBT or inshore wrecks and seabass/togs/flounder at the nearshore wrecks (<150' deep), I would recommend the tekota, because it has the levelwind. You don't really need the 6.1-1 ratio in that depth. However if you are deep dropping in 50 fathoms or more, that hi-speed ratio would be a consideration.

Ed

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I have Saltis 40 and 50 love them both. Caught grouper, tiles from 300 to 600ft. Found the reels have plenty of drag. Priced right to.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I have the following:

Saltist 40 EH

Shimano Tekota 800

Shimano Torium 30 & 15

Saltist is ok, but I like the Torium better for deep dropping... Lots of line capacity, fast retrieve and smooth drag and gears.

I use my Tekotas when I want to winch a big boy.. A little slower retrieve, but lots of power...

JMHO...

If you have any further questions ask away... I guess I'm just a Shimano fan, I like their customer service too....

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I have the following:

Saltist 40 EH

Shimano Tekota 800

Shimano Torium 30 & 15

Saltist is ok, but I like the Torium better for deep dropping... Lots of line capacity, fast retrieve and smooth drag and gears.

I use my Tekotas when I want to winch a big boy.. A little slower retrieve, but lots of power...

JMHO...

If you have any further questions ask away... I guess I'm just a Shimano fan, I like their customer service too....
Ditto on customer service from Shimano...best in the business in my opinion!!!

Ed

·
Registered
92 Posts
I second my brothers post above. The Saltist would be my preference for a few reasons but mostly because I've cranked on some nice fish with his. Cobia, drum, mahi, wahoo, etc. the reel is small, strong and smooth as silk. I also like the construction of that particular Daiwa reel better. Check out charkbait's write up on a comparison between the two reels - yeah, it might be biased information but worth a read. That said I love Shimano products and doubt you'd feel gipped with either one. I'm going to buy the 30 for butterfly jigging as it has a good following in that regard as well. Interesting thing I learned/ read on some jigging sites it that if you are catching strong fish on the jig (tuna, AJ's, mahi, etc.) you don't really want a high speed retrieve (even though you are cranking in a lot of line) as it lessens your torque cranking power on a bruiser fish. I know you said you are looking to use it for sea bass and togs, etc and not jigging, etc.................this is just some things I've thought about if it helps..............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts