Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang I caught a lot of fish yesterday! Dang I broke down on the way back in!

Yesterday I dropped my jet ski at Messick boat ramp in Poquoson, Va. and headed across to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to fish for Tautog again. Season ends May 1st so I wanted to get a couple more trips in before then.
The 15 mile trip was not bad but the wind steadily picked up once I got there. 20 kt winds out of NW with four footers make difficult bottom fishing around bridge plies and rocky bottom. I only caught two fish the first two hours.
finally the wind and tide both slowed down and I settled into a good spot. Over the next hour and a half I pulled up 22 more Tautog all in the same spot using live fiddler crabs for bait.

I counted my blessing and headed back across the Chesapeake Bay for home.

Unfortunately about four miles short of getting back my ski made a sickly whirring sound and cut off. I could not get it to turn over over much less start. With no other boats in sight I called Sea Tow and and gave them my Lat/ Long. Luckily it was a slow day for them cause the were there in only about forty five minutes and I was back at the ramp shortly after that. Sometimes towing insurance pays off!

Dropped my ski off at the shop today, I am not optimistic by the sounds of it but I should know if it is the engine by tomorrow. Luckily for me I have Back Up Skis. Ha!

Here are some pictures I too while out and couple at home.

My neighbor recently pointed out some "Marsh Asparagus" he saw on his property. So last night my wife and I looked around the edges of our wetlands and found several small patches of them.

Of course I had to take some pictures of the wildlife here also.

I am always looking up to try and catch these shots.

Dang! Even with the breakdown it was still a Dandy Day!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
good report Brian, sorry about you breaking down, I hope it is something simple.

I got concerned when I the picture of your ski being towed. I always heard to never tow a jet ski over 5 MPH because water can back up into the engine if you go faster than that and based on your picture it looked faster than 5.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am sure your aware of it, but safety first, if you have deer leave like that around, your in Lyme Disease territory, hope the ski isn't terminal

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
good planning, I forgot you go way off shore sometimes and based on what I read in your posts you are prepared for the unexpected. I bet a lot of other jet ski riders never heard about a cut off valve. Since you said you put one in, I hope this saves someone else a ton of money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts