Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I launched early today for a shakedown cruise with my 22wa Angler. I couldn't wait to get her wet this season. The day went absolutly perfect until we decided to come back in around 3pm. The wind had picked up and there was just the beginnings of white caps. The way the ramp is located, the waves were coming right at the ramp. We put the boat perpendicular to the ramp to go get the truck; but the waves were broadside to us and we had a hard time holding the boat off the pier. The two of us were doing ok until a wave from a passing tug came ashore and and dropped the boat about three feet and it came back up under the pier and busted the fiberglass gunnel and dislogged the rubrail. The boat swung around and the stern surfed toward the ramp and at the bottem of the next swell the motor hit ground (concrete) and the skeg was dammaged. We were finally able to get it back on the trailer and home. I called boat US and put in a claim (my first in six years of owning the boat). I have a slip on the Bodkin; but just wanted to splash it today for a seatrial. The closest ramp was at Ft Armstead and I didn't want to run all the way to Sandy Point (what a mistake). Don't do as I did, go somewhere that has good launching facilities. I was in such a rush to test it out, that I paid the price for a quick launch. Harbor Hospital would have been more protected and a better choice. Looks like six years of no bad luck finally caught up wiith me. 5th tuition will be out of commission for a while. Better luck to all of you who read this!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You are responsible for our wake! If a Tug did it, contact them and see what can be done through their insurance company.

At minimum, I hope Boat US goes after them.

- Dae

·
Banned
186 Posts
.......we frequent that ramp when the water freezes all the others to duck hunt.....and have experienced the same. I drop off the driver and idle out until the trailer is in the water ready for the boat, and just ride it on. Sorry to hear about your woes.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
It not very well protected as ships come and go all day long and there wake can travel quite a distance .I went there once and thought it was a bad place for a ramp.

Good luck getting your boat fixed.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Ft Arm is only a good ramp when the creeks are frozen. There's several other ramps nearby that are protected. I've beat up a few HO's at Ft Arm but they've always saved my gel coat:thumbup:. You're lucky it's still winter and nobody is out yet. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Its definitely a tough place because of the large ship traffic. - I heard some real horror stories from a few buddy's. Sometimes the "Locals" can be fun too!
-B

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
sorry to hear about your trip, ramp is O.K. unless the wind is blowing into the ramp, any hint of east winds and I don't launch there

·
Registered
180 Posts
It can be tough, no doubt, dumps you right out into open water. The ramp at Turners Station is just over the bridge. Nice ramp, in a protected cove.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
809 Posts
sorry to hear about your boat. Hope all gets strighted out before we get too deep into the season.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
skorcher - I too was worried this would be a report about the locals.

Having barely escaped an incident with some aggressive locals in Richmond a few weeks ago, I vowed to keep my wits about me a bit more at places like Ft. Arm (and Dutch Gap).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts