Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks Mini Moe ! You are the man! Got another one this morning so I am done. I went out in the midst of the nice quiet morning and went to a spot where I heard no gobbles opening day, and there they were. Double gobble from the tree, set up on a path and clucked and he gobbled to answer. After fly down, no gobbles so I hoped that he was coming in to see my little hen. Skeeters were about to kill me and I was head high in poison ivy ( which I am deadly allergic to but I was foaming at the mouth) when out of the corner of my eye, I see a turkey head. Not just one but two two year old birds coming in to my decoy and calls. I took the bigger one and whacked him at 6 yards. What a thrill it is to hunt the turkey.

Now I can focus on fishing. Life is good, thanks a ton for your help and hope you got that swamp thing!

Feeshon [grin][grin]

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way to go Feeshon!!! I was wondering what the limit was in VA. It's two here also. We can shoot a beardless one if we want . Can you guys do that? I wouldn't, but it's legal here. I stand corrected on further reading of regs. it says you can take a beardless turkey in the winter season only. I'm glad I read that, I just glanced at the tag and saw beardless. Our season runs the month of april and we can hunt sunup to sundown. I saw a post where someone said you guys couldn't hunt in the afternoon up there for first half of season or something to that effect. How does that go? How many days does your season run?

moe

moe

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Moe - we are morning only - only hunt till noon - season opened three Saturdays ago. After May 1 you can hunt all day. I know where two big toms went to roost in the fall so I might try an evening hunt, I saw them during deer season but they busted me just before they flew up. It was still pretty cool to see the bright red heads against the snow.

Feeshon [grin]

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a plan. I haven't hunted in the morning yet, too lazy to get out that early I guess. I can get up to deer hunt 3 hrs. before sunrise but I just can't make it that early in warm weather for some reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.