Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today is one of those days where i shouldn't have gone fishing .. i did manage to catch a few fish .. and i caught my biggest flathead ever .. however my day was awful overall

i caught an 18 and 23lb blue and a 25lb flathead .. i think the bite may be on VERY soon .. the water temperatue has gone from pee warm to nice and cool .. just the right temperature for a pool .. you may ask why i think the bite is on if i only caught 3 fish .. i fished from 2-6 which isn't that long not to mention i spent over an hour of that driving and scouting for the upcoming winter season .. i also spent a TON of that time fighting the winds coming off of that darn hurricane .. i didn't have a back anchor to hold me steady cause i gave it away to a person that was broken down a few weeks ago

anyway on the the bad stuff .. i don't know how you guys hold flatheads by their mouths but apparently i did it wrong .. my fingertips got ripped up when i lifted that one up .. i bled for almost an hour .. catching 3 fish is great .. except when everytime you hook one is swims through all your lines and you spend the next half hour cutting and retying

lastly and the worst of all .. coming home on 295 the trailer bounced going over one of those crappy bridges and my trailer axle broke .. snapped a wheel and everything there clean off .. i have no money to buy a new trailer and no warranty left on it .. so i'm out of commission until i hit the lottery

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
awww that suuuucks! How did you get it all home?

What kind of axle is it? Maybe fixing or repairing it isn't as expensive as you think? I know Northern Tool carries somewhat inexpensive axle components. I replaced the axle on my old boat trailer and it was way less than I thought. This was probably a lighter duty trailer than what you have but might be worth checking into...?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Tank, you can get that trailer fixed pretty cheap and do it yourself. I just replaced an axle, hub assy and wheel bearings on my trailer and it was pretty reosonable. I think the axle was $80.00 and the hub with bearings was about $24.00. Agri supply has everything you need at the best price. They are located off wagner road in petersburg. Its almost cheaper than the gas for one fishing trip.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have always found that picking up flatheads was pretty easy. There is a little pocket under their lover jaw that you fingers fit right into. they are usually pretty calm too and will let you put your hand in their mouth.

sorry about the axel but it dosent sound too expensive too fix. Plus you dont need a boat to flathead fish. 90% of my spots are no accessible with a boat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
willis i wish it were that simple

i went to the boat dealer this morning where i had it taken on rollback .. seems the springs on both sides had been broken for sometime and it was just a matter of time before the axle broke .. at least that's what he told me

so i need an entire axle and all assemblies, plus a tire and new springs on both sides

he'll be calling me today telling me whether its worth fixing or getting a new one

frankly i'd rather a new one .. this trailer has been trouble since day one .. plus its covered by insurance so all he has to say is its unfixable .. maybe i shoulda paid him off [grin]

at any rate there's an outside chance i'll be up and running in 2-3 weeks .. keep em biting for me in the meantime guys

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Tank sorry to hear about the bad luck! Didn't you buy that boat and trailer new not too long ago? If so the trailer may still be under warranty. I hope you get back to fishing soon. As for the fingers, you have to watch how you far you roll your fingers up under the lip of the heavier flatties, those rakers or whatever they are called can cut you to the bone almost and they do it so easily you don't even feel it at first!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup the boat and trailer are 2 years and 1 month old .. which of course means 1 month out of warranty .. i chewed out the trailer manufacturer today and i think they're going to honor it anyway .. at least they better hope they are .. if not i'll be suing .. i have a friend that can get me in touch with one of those "you only pay if i win" lawyers

on a side note to that the insurance lady was like: well i need to go look at it to make sure its not wear and tear, because if that's the case we're not covering you .. of course my eyes pop out and my jaw drops .. i was like: lady its barely 2 years old and there's no rust that thing broke clean off .. if you tell me its wear and tear we're gonna have problems

as you can tell i'm quite ticked off .. someone is going to claim responsibility for this and it sure as heck ain't me

·
Registered
519 Posts
try budgetboats.com in chesapeake...its a junk yard for boats and trailers...i'm sure you can get a whole assembly cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts