Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you fish the bridges or similar structure in the daytime for stripers, is it better to fish (cast) from the upstream side, or downstream, toward or along side the piling?

Upstream you can send your lures down the sides where they may be looking to ambush drifting bait--am I right to assume the won't sit in front, looking upstream?*

But then your retrieve is against the current.

Downstream you hit the eddies behind the pilings; that seems a more likely place to hit bait, if I were a fish. And your retrieve is with the current--but can be too fast.

At night the fish seem to be hanging at the upstream light line, looking upstream.

I see people doing it both ways. I also see people not catching fish!

thanks!

*I'm more used to flounder, who traditionally lay facing upstream

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
For jigging, not sure there is standard answer but I always find myself positioning upstream and drifting back (motor off if possible) with enough weight to put a bait right on the bottom and know it. Shawn Kimbro has some good information for bay jigging and working pilings. I go back and re-read his material occasionally. It covers some of your questions and more. Here are a couple good articles. Even though one of them is about fishing he Bay Bridge in the upper bay its still very useful:

http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/2009/01/31/light-tackle-jigging-the-basics/

http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/2009/01/30/light-tackle-techniques-for-the-chesapeake-bay-bridge/

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
We usually fish the upstream side exclusively, especially early during striper season and when trolling so you baits are close to the supports When casting most of our fish are caught when the bait strikes or almost strikes the front of the support and sinks. It never hurts to try the down stream side, especially when things are really going. You should always try in between the supports too.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I had always heard Upstream and believe it best. Even fishing rivers for small mouth bass.
When I asked why, "It makes a more natural presentation"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts