Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Larry and I left the MMBT from a quick trip of only catching trash fish and no rock and headed back towards Huntington Park boat ramp when he spotted, and I still do not know how he saw this at 9pm with no light, a dead dolphin floating in the channel approximately 300 to 500 yards off of the Newport News terminals just before you get to the Newport News shipyard. We really were not sure whom to notify about this for a couple of reasons; first the darn thing was estimated at 300 pounds and I am pretty sure that would do some damage to a boats engine or even throw some folks around if it was hit and second I think there are several government agencies that like to track this. I will try to get the picture up that I took with my phone and a spotlight on it. Oh yea, DANG it stunk!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not sure if this is purely coincidence or not, but early Saturday morning, right near the small boat channel on the west side of the M&M we saw a dead sea turtle at about 4:30AM. Smelled to high heavens, I imagine about the same thing you smelt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dead dolphin

Just getting close enough to take the picture was hard enough on the sense of smell. I did not notice any strange marks of anykind on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yea the sea turtle had no marks as well, not on the top side anyway. Looked to have died of natural causes. All I had with me was my camera phone, getting close enough with that would have been agonizing.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Mark Swingle, 757.437.6022 he is involved with teh Virginia Beach Dolphin Stranding Team...he may be able to help you out.........

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Sea turtles live a VERY long time. More than likely, something happened to it.

The dolphin, it's hard to say... Still kind of sad, regardless.

-TH

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sea turtles eat jellyfish and anything that looks like a jellyfish, hence we should be mindful of making sure that clear plastic sandwich bags never make it to the water. They eat them thinking it is food and it screws up their stomach.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
a week ago today there was a sea turtle floating out at the CBBT.....the size of a stop sign..........

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
:)

I hate to hear stuff like this.. Hope nothing serious is going on and this doesn't start happening a lot.. I saw a dead sea turtle in July on my way to the CLT... I would have loved to remove it just to avoid another boat hitting it but could not due to its huge size (and smell).... Will the Virginia marine police remove stuff like this automatically????..or should we notify someone if we start seeing this more????Beth

1 - 13 of 13 Posts