Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know fish kills occur occasionally in the summer due to water quality. Usually I’ll see a bunch of small perch or other juvenile fish dead.

Yesterday I took a ride around Swan point bar and out to the triple buoys. There were hundreds of dead large rockfish in an area that was maybe 10 acres. These were larger fish I’d estimate from 20 - almost 30 inches. Sad. The water was brown to green and a bit better out in the bay away from land.

The closure and other fishing restrictions are ok with me and I’m certain they help some but water quality needs to be improved or we are hosed.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
We didn't see any dead Rockfish, but a bunch of dead Channel cats, 43 to be exact in The Choptank Friday and Saturday.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I believe it was last year where someone posted photos of a net, the kind that runs perpendicular from shore to a holding pen in deeper water, and it was FULL of floating dead rockfish.
Questions were asked, how is that allowed and what happens to all those fish?
Some answers or speculation was that the net owner would go out at night and open the net with a moving tide to let the fish float out.
Once they floated away, how could the net owner be held responsible when they would be long gone in the mornings daylight when they may be found?

Like was mentioned, can't be blamed on the fishing fleet this time.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I believe that’s a “pound” net and the only way that could happen is if some bad water came through. I don’t think there’s a way to “open” the net. The fisherman enter the parlor and net the fish out, alive, but maybe there is a way to open

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I believe that’s a “pound” net and the only way that could happen is if some bad water came through. I don’t think there’s a way to “open” the net. The fisherman enter the parlor and net the fish out, alive, but maybe there is a way to open
You got that right longtail. Fish never die in a pound net. Unless like you said bad water comes through. But I have never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The people worried and complaining about pound nets, should be whacking the commorants off it with a pellet gun instead. Bigger threat to our fishery
(just an opinion, no commorants were hurt in the making of this post)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Nothing is getting “logged” and no one will investigate. I’d doubt your complaint makes a post it
You are incorrect. If you call and report a fish kill it is logged into the MDE database. I reported one last week. It did not need investigation. Not all kills are investigated (some do not need to be), but they are recorded and reported each year in a report. Here is the 2021 report if you want to read it.

https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/w...Fish_Kill_Reports/2021FishKillReportFINAL.pdf

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
I read on some other thread where there was bad water in the lower Potomac They were pulling up crab pots with all dead crabs and fish nets with all dead fish, even catfish.recently. One crabber said Badwater is coming up the Bay .They are pulling up their crab pots and bringining in their nets down there .They should shut down the Striper season from July15 to Aug. 15 next year ,If that doesn't work,make it longer .

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
They should shut down the Striped Bass season for 4 weeks next year during summer.If that doesn't work, shut it down longer the folowing year. If that doesn't work keep on fishing for Catfish

·
Registered
305 Posts
They should shut down the Striped Bass season for 4 weeks next year during summer.If that doesn't work, shut it down longer the folowing year. If that doesn't work keep on fishing for Catfish
That will not solve anything. The dead fish/crabs had to do with water quality not from catching/fishing. They should close it on those days the recommend not fishing for them when the oxygen levels are low. That will cover most of the summer 90 + degree days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts