Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a troubling picture the other day; It was a picture of a netter holding a Rockfish that had to be close to 90lbs and was 76 inches long. The fish was dead and they had to throw it back over... I hate nets this time of year because of this.. I know people have to make a living but at what cost to the Striper population? Gill nets do more harm than good even if the fish is still alive when you pull it out most likely it is going to die.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
767 Posts
Upcoming PRFC Meetings

The Potomac River is governed by the Potomac River Fisheries Commission (PRFC), not MD or VA regs. The PRFC holds regular meetings where the public is welcome to attend and your input on any commercial or recreational regulations will be welcomed. This is your chance to make your voice heard!

I currently sit on the Finfish Advisory Committee as a Virginia recreational fisherman and will be attending this week's meeting. If there is any more info regarding this please send me a message or post here. Thanks! Paul

Here is a link to the PRFC:

http://www.prfc.state.va.us/index.htm

Here are the dates of upcoming meetings:

March 2, 2011, Wednesday 6:00 PM
Finfish Advisory Committee Meeting
Potomac River Fisheries Commission Bldg.
John T. Parran Hearing Room
222 Taylor Street
Colonial Beach, VA 22443
click here for directions

March 11, 2011, Friday 9:30 AM
Potomac River Fisheries Commission Meeting
Potomac River Fisheries Commission Bldg.
John T. Parran Hearing Room
222 Taylor Street
Colonial Beach, VA 22443
click here for directions

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
That is a very nice fish. 76 inches? Probably not but either way it's an old fish that seen the spawning grounds many times before. It really is a shame that such a large fish must go to waste. The season now for netters in the Potomac, which is different from the rest of Maryland is that fish over 36 inches must be returned. But what if the fish gets caught in the net and dies? Well, it goes to waste. Same with the trawlers off NC, those "extra" fish go to waste. There's no way to adjust the mesh size and rule out accidental catches. The fish will just get entangled in .5 inch mesh or 5 inch mesh. What do you do? Not allow netting at all? no more rockfish in the stores or restaurants for the regular folk? Let's just hope more than a few made it on past the net.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
That is an old picture from about 2 years ago and it looks photoshopped anyway. I wouldn't use it as any sort of "information" to further your cause Mr. Sea King. I do however support a net ban in the Potomac River.

·
Registered
347 Posts
not sure what ricked did trying to remove the man's face picture does look funny. wish it was fake but it's ( NOT ).. i no the netter that caught it very well and the pic was took with a cell phone that day .it was no where near 76in but well over 80lbs and was weighed at a dock before being returned dead to the water . fish was caught 2 years ago infront of coloinial beach on the potomac in march rolled up in the net dead and as time go's fish storys get bigger but the man is 6 ft and weigh's over 325lbs again the pic is real.

and before anyone whats to hang the netter remember it's the law's that need to be changed.

Capt. Lee Tippett

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Potomac commercial regs say that all fish netted or caught hook and line this time of year cannot exceed 36''. Buyers are strict and measure the fish and won't buy one if its over 36". So that means lots of throw backs this time of year. On Mar 26 the regs change again, no fish can be kept over 28".

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't mean to start a pissing contest folks, but the world record is 78.8Lbs.... How folks are coming up w/ numbers like "over 80" and "110Lbs" is beyond me...
ALOT of things are beyond someone without a clue if the record was for net's it would have been broke long ago as i said no wear near 76in but over 80lbs netted myself for six years biggest was 53in 76.2 get over it and do some research

Capt. Lee

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I hate when this happens. Type in "arkansas stripers haul of fame".it has the 92# Striped bass caught by the md. dNR & tells about the 125# Striper caught in NC

·
Registered
576 Posts
Gill nets should not be allowed where there is a size restriction period. They are not selective and few fish survive being caught in one. Throwing back dead fish is a tremendous waste and does nothing to support the size regulations imposed.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Nets are a challenge to deal with. How can commercial fishermen get along without them and how can they not cause so much destruction of the bottom structure and the fish we all target?

Kevin
Weekend Mstress

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.