Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 90% of the fish in 10% of the water and 10% of the fisherman catching 90% of the fish, what is the average weekend rec. fisherman to do? "Haves/have nots", "it was sick", are indications that frustration is setting in. Let's look at the big picture, here. Flounder are most people's favorite fish, they congregate in a relatively small area around b42 / cell, on a nice weekend there will be many boats in the area fishing, and everybody wants a limit of fish for their efforts from fuel cost to what they promise other people in fillets / pullage, etc... In other words, expectations are not being met. First of all, you have to get over there on weekends as soon as the sun comes up, a drift of 1.3 - 2.0 kts. is needed because flounder are predators, you need to let the fish and water tell you what to, and you need to RELAX. I have never limited out on flounder and I am an avid weekend angler, but so what? We have had 26"ers, and dinks too, with everything in between. We catch what we target, but we do not "beat our heads against the wall" and complain when the bite is slow. We do something different and try to outsmart the fish and the other boaters. Remember, we do this because it is fun. If it is not fun, find something else that that is fun for you.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You got that right Warren - I usually stay away from the crowds and that has not been easy lately or find my own rhythm where I am - I am happy with one keeper and a nice time on the water with my wife. Every once in a while, this blind squirrel finds a nut or two but most of the time I am just steering the boat while my guests and wife do the catching. Nothing like the grin of someone who has never caught a big one catching a big one.

Always enjoy your reports and look to you to keep us posted on the Spanish at the mouth.

Feeshon

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was up from Mississippi all last week, and caught quite a few flounder in the mouth of the Rapp and the Spike as well. I also caught some trolling within 50 yards of the Narrows marina at night. None of those were as big as the monsters I caught early in the week at the Cell, but I think there are flounder all over the Middle Bay.[grin]

·
Registered
114 Posts
We've had reasonable luck fishing away from the crowds. We don't limit out either but we get enough to eat and don't go home with a stress headache for dodging idiots. We look for areas with flounder looking bottom contours and drift there. It's a lot more enjoyable which it why were're out there in the first place. If all we wanted was meat in the freezer it'd be a lot cheaper to buy it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Very seldom do we fish weekends. One reason is the crowds and the other is work. Can you only picture the flounder looking up and seeing all the sinkers on the way down? Some of them are bound to get hit. Love to fish and love to see other anglers catch fish. Like Warren said it has to be fun or it isn't worth it. I try to keep it fun. Put a new anchor windless on the boat (old one was acting up) and that has made it more fun already. (just ask my lovely young bride)[grin]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts