Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys out there last night, did you see/hear about this?
Update: Search called off for missing canoeist:

11:18 AM EDT on Thursday, April 28, 2005

Reported by: Carl Leimer
A canoe overturned in Ocean View and one of the two boaters was never found.

Police say Larry Harper, 22, and William Sherwood, went into the water about 11:00 p.m. Wednesday. Neither was wearing a life jacket.

The canoe overturned about 30 or 40 yards off Willoughby Spit, sending them into the 51-degree water.

Sherwood made it back to shore and ran for help. Harper was reportedly last seen clinging to the capsized canoe.

13News

The spotlight from a Coast Guard helicopter shines on the water in Ocean View.

"We heard someone hollering for help here on the beach. And they were frantic," said Butch Petrie, a Willoughby resident. "He barely made it to the beach and so myself and another neighbor called 911."

Sherwood was taken to the hospital with hypothermia.

Boats and aircraft from the Norfolk police, Va. Beach police, the Coast Guard and Marine Patrol searched all night and into the morning.

They found the canoe, but didn't find Harper.

The search was called off at 11:00 a.m. Thursday.

The Coast Guard recommends you wear lifejackets when you're on the water because, in times of trouble, you might not have time to put one on.

According to the Coast Guard, in 2003, 86 percent of all people killed in boating fatalities were not wearing lifejackets.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I never saw anyone out there and I didn't get past the small boat channel. I heard on the news this morning that someone had spotted someone in a canoe, but they said it turned out to be false. I'm positive whoever it was saw me. I did see someone sneaking through the fence when i was passing the restraunt. The wind did come up last night and was battling the tide. That's why I left.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A canoe is the worst thing to be in. You can't control it in the wind. If it swamps, you are screwed. I would rather be in anything than a canoe. If the other guy was strong enough to swim to shore, he should have. It sucks either way. Sorry to hear about it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My condolences to his family.[angel] How many times will we hear this? No PFD on and in cold water in the dark. A PFD may have prevented this fatality.[sad]

·
Registered
717 Posts
Horrible news, but I gotta say it...wear your lifejackets. It's a death-wish if you don't.

And what were they thinking? A canoe in the wind at night?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My condolences to the family for their loss. Please don't villianize the canoe though. These guys were not prepared. I fish through December each year in a canoe and wouldn't want it any other way. I catch more fish from my canoe than I bet 95% of power boat owners. But I do chose the days I will go out carefully and I will not go out without a lifejacket on, nor will I allow anyone in my canoe who won't wear a PFD. I usually have two lights with me in case one stops working. I carry an anchor (cinder block). ETC, ETC. My canoe was also purchased with stability in mind. I have been out when 40knot winds have hit with a cold front (0 to 40 in less than a minute) and while it wasn't fun, I never was concerned that I would flip. My biggest concern was getting the bow pointed in the right direction to go in, which I did. I acknowledge that there are canoes out there that are not real stable, but if you get a canoe for fishing you can get a very stable platform. Again, my sympathy to the family and friends, but please don't blame the canoe.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Drew, what kind of canoe do you have? I think they are great for small lakes or slow rivers but I have never seen one that would be worth a **** in open water, surf, or rapids. A sit on top kayak can be swamped, flipped, dumped, whatever and the water just runs out of it. As long as you don't loose it, punch a hole in it, or get caught with a hatch open, you are fine.

I don't blame those 2 guys because I have done PLENTY of stupid or ignorrant things in my life only I got lucky and am still here for some reason. I feal sorry for both of them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
wpvboat,
My canoe is an Old Town "Camper". Very flat, stable boat. In calm conditions I am comfortable throwing a cast net while standing in this canoe. We originally got this craft for my wife, myself and our dog to go out in. We now use it for the whole family (two kids). Never has it even thought about flipping, though I'm sure it can happen if you try hard enough. It is not made for going fast or turning quickly, so I would not take it down any white water, but for stability it's great! But again, we never use it without everyone having their PFD's on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts