Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Friday Dec 5th Kevin and I finally got a chance to get out and do some serious rockfishing. It had been almost 3 1/2 weeks since our last trip on the water due to traveling, the weather, and some work related commitments so we were more than ready get back out on the water. We had entered the 17th annual VBAC rockfish tournament about a month ago and this seemed like the perfect way to spend our evening together. After the Captain's meeting, Kevin and I launched out of Lynnhaven and arrived at the high level bridge around 8:35p or so. We scanned the area, Kevin won the coin toss so he picked the first location and we arrived and began setting up around 8:50p. We decided to float and drop some eels. We had 5 poles out and I had made myself a sandwich thinking I would eat it now before the action started. On my third bite of the sandwich, my rod started screaming and the sandwich suddenly lost all priority. I stood up and started to fight the fish. I had previously set the lines with enough drag to accommodate any potential Bubbas that wanted to join us that evening. Within the first few minutes of the fight, I realized although this fish carried her weight well, she lacked the hugeness worthy of a Bubba. I then increased the tension just a little and got her to the boat. A very pleasing and respectable 39 incher for our box and the night had just begun .... I smiled and thought ......now this is going to be a good night...... We stayed at that location for another hour and then decided to move to a spot of my choosing.... I don't know if any of you believe in auras when it comes to fishing, but I definitely do. I had a huge aura coming from this next site.... I had mentioned it to Kevin earlier after he had won the coin toss and we agreed that after one hour at his choosing we would also try out my location. As we approached the site, I could feel the excitement in my veins. We set up our eels and within about 7 minutes the middle spinner rod/reel was smoking hot. It was Kevin's turn and he was about to pull in a beauty of a fish.. I managed the other lines and started bringing the nearby ones in to accommodate this heavenly creature sent to us from above. I got the net ready and looked out into the water. The way this fish was fighting was amazing and had serious Bubba qualities. Kevin handled this fish like a champ and confidently brought the fish to the boat. I netted the beast and we brought this 47 1/2 inch long beauty aboard. ...WOW !!! Now that was a fish! We left sight about 20 minutes later. I would have loved to stay and pull in another but the rules are the rules. My fish was beyond resuscitation and Kevin's fish was definitely staying aboard. We had two keepers over the slot so by 11:30pm we had limit and were done for the night. We headed back home to get some sleep. Tomorrow would soon be here. On Sat. Dec 6th we weighed the 47 1/2 inch fish in. It weighed 43.5 lbs and We placed 2nd in the 17th annual VBAC Rodeo Rockfish tournament and Kevin received his first rockfish citation....A special thank you a few friends who have helped us along the way. Todd, Kevin, Richard, and Max. You guys ROCK!!!!!!!
P.S. Below is a picture of Kevin right after the catch and the next two pictures were taken the next day at the weigh in.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
responses

Brian,
Thank you. I think our freezer is full for a while.:yes:
Parker 28,
I think its safe to say that I am addicted to fishing:rolleyes:
Les,
Wow. What a nice thing to say.. Thank you so much for that compliment. :D
Capt Jake G,
Great meeting you too! That was a nice dinner and I really loved that Harp beer! Congrats to you and your team for placing 1st with a 45.3 pounder:bigfish:!.
P.S. Say hi to Shaun, Squid-nation, and the wives for us:thumbup:
Fishman,
Thank you;-)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That's a fat girl there...I mean the fish of course:D

Congrats...we had a 46.5" Saturday night that only went 35lbs. She was released to fight another day.

Once you get this down you'll be looking for a 50 and be tossing the 40's back.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congrats!!!!

You know.... fisherpeople are a strange lot and I bet you could market GPS coordinates where you have a strong aura.

I also believe in the "sandwhich technique" whereby the crew fills their hands with food... PB+J works well... and as soon as everyone is distracted a fish will bite.

Good Work!

·
Registered
771 Posts
WTG!

Great job on the fish and the 2nd place winning!:clapping2:

The extra sensory tactics payed off...:thumbup: Any particular colors to look for?:D

James

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Awesome job on the tourney!!!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
responses

Here we go
A 50 lber sounds great to me! can't wait!
Whitebite
ditto and thanks
Capt Kevin Bremmer
thanks
finfever
thanks we are very exctied about it
ESfishdoc
too funny! thanks
James
thanks. good to know those tactics are actually working. as for the colors...this time of year I would go for the red or the green! HA!
playing hooky thank you

Now here is the humility part where I get to eat some crow.. I just sat down and was talking with my husband Kevin and told him about the post I did..I remembered him stating on the boat the number 46 1/2 but after I checked the actual signed paperwork the documented official signed paper stated 47 1/2.. So kuddos to Kevin for questioning it.. He was right and I am officially sleep deprived so I am now going to bed!!I changed it on my post to reflect the official length that is documented on our paperwork .. You guys are too much It is all about the inches!!! Have a great evening...Beth

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
i was beginning to think i might seen a ghost @ the ramp awhile back. if your gonna fish that's the way to do it. WTG

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
responses :0)

Tony,
Thanks, Now about these ghosts you are seeing.:eek:

Mike,
Very animated response. I like it!! :thumbup:

pbbk143
What a nice thing to say. thank you.:))

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Sorry so late with the reply. I am just reading this now. Been out of the scene for the last couple of weeks with the exception of this past Fri/sat Kevin and I got a chance to get out there. Read our report when you get a chance.. Sounds like you guys had a great day on the water and plenty of fish for the fryer and freezer!! :bigfish::bigfish::bigfish:Thanks for the bmail Jamie.. Will see ya on the water!!! Beth
Good job girlie~ Glad to see you N K-man are back to kicking fish tail !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts