Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a friend looking at a 24 ft deck boat, want to set up for trolling , how do these things handle the snotty water, he will be in the ocean sometimes but mostly the bay

·
Registered
636 Posts
Back bays yes, ocean defiantly NOT. If you remember quite a large pontoon boat (water taxi) capsized in the harbor in Baltimore and out everyone in some pretty damn cold water. Wouldn't want to be on one in the ocean no matter how close to shore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
have a friend looking at a 24 ft deck boat, want to set up for trolling , how do these things handle the snotty water, he will be in the ocean sometimes but mostly the bay
We fished my buddy's hurricane deck boat with tons of success! Did well in the snotty bay, just dress accordingly. I did take a plunge in late April between the main spans of the bay bridge when we hooked all 9 rods on a barge anchor line trying to pull in a planer board...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is a deck boat the same as a pontoon boat?......Gary
I was thinking the same thing... Pontoon boats typically have, well pontoons. Deck boats are generally fiberglass hulls that are slightly wider in the bow than a standard bow rider and have an almost flat bottom, but there is a slight "V". Regardless, I would not want to be in the ocean in either!

·
Registered
643 Posts
We fished my buddy's hurricane deck boat with tons of success! Did well in the snotty bay, just dress accordingly. I did take a plunge in late April between the main spans of the bay bridge when we hooked all 9 rods on a barge anchor line trying to pull in a planer board...
Hmmmm, that sounds like a story from the pages of history from the C. Hunter / S. Hunter vessel ??

It was / is amazing that deckboat has lived a life of a fish slaughtering machine !! , but I prefer his updated model !!!!!!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Fished the ocean many times on a Hurricane Deck boat. Just like any other fishing trip you pick your days and watch the weather. No we did not go 20 miles off shore. There is a ton of good fishing within a few miles of the various inlets in Md. And Va. I know Md only has one ocean inlet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 24 foot Hurricane deck boat for 5 years, which I used strictly in the mid bay area. You have to pick your days on the bay, I would not take it into the ocean. Deck boats have a rough ride in anything over a 2 foot chop, not as much of a safety issue as a comfort issue. Its hard to troll a deck in rough water, I took more than a few waves over the bow. I had it rigged for trolling, added a 5 rod rocket launcher to the back of the boat by the motor, and rigged some Scotty rail mount holders up front and used some really long rods on those to get the lines out to the side. I was able to troll 5 or 6 rods at a time. Last year I traded it in for a Grady Freedom 255 - I get a lot more fish-able days now, and also get more rigs out in the water. But I don't catch any more fish than I did with the deck boat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You know it!!!
haha...yes we had a pretty good 17 year run on the deck boat. The new ride is much more comfortable, but will never forget good times on the Hurricane...

9 rods. 3 on each planer, 1 WWB and 2 boat rods. Have actually run up to 11 rods when Ready2Reel stuffed a few more in cup holders..

IMG_0950.jpg IMG_0940.JPG

·
Registered
219 Posts
haha...yes we had a pretty good 17 year run on the deck boat. The new ride is much more comfortable, but will never forget good times on the Hurricane...

9 rods. 3 on each planer, 1 WWB and 2 boat rods. Have actually run up to 11 rods when Ready2Reel stuffed a few more in cup holders..

FB_IMG_1442362967048.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pops (ravens_no_1) bought a new rig last year. I actually still fish this boat when its nice. We used to run 6 boat rods off of it years ago. Once i put on the Lowrance elite 5 and started using planer boards it was a whole new ball game. You can see in the pics how we have the rods set up. Many rockfish have come across the deck. I will tell you that early spring (opening day) is pretty damn cold out there though ..hahaha

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts