Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Durabak or something similar is what alot of guys are doing these days. It's like a spray in bedliner for a truck

Cote-L Distribution Company

You can go the old fashioned way by sanding and using a non skid marine paint, or even an epoxy topcoat and add a non slip to it. It works like a salt shaker, you paint the deck and while it's still tacky, sprinkle the non skid on it. After it dries you vaccuum the access up.

Either way you do it, the taping is the hard part if you want it to look right. Plan on a couple of hours at least, depending on how much deck/gunnell hardware you have.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that Durabak sounds interesting.

Another product I was considering is Interlux Interdeck.

Whatever product I go with, I am considering going with a light gray as the color. Anyone have any thoughts on that choice?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Bring it to me Jim, we can sand the decks and spray Awlgrip with nonskid mixed in. It will give a very even proffessional finish, that will be durable and easy to clean. If you use Interlux you will be painting again in a year or two depending on useage of the boat.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Has anyone prep/taped their boat and then taken it to a spray-in truck liner shop? Also looking to re-do the deck and like the durability bed liner coating.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used the Durabak on my Grady deck about four years ago. I prepped, sanded, and wiped down per specs and rolled on two coats.
Came out great, easy to apply and was very happy with the nonskid properties. You could flood the deck with water, no way you were gonna slip or slide.
It was a little hard to keep clean, needed vigorous brushing.
After a year, I noticed some minor peeling-flaking in a few areas, like it was drying out, and has gotten worse over each season and will have to be redone in the next few seasons.
I have read Durabak has changed the properties to remedie this and some complaints of it staying sticky for long periods of time, before curing. I am still happy overall, considering.
I have read great things about Awlgrip, and think that it will be my choice for the next repaint.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear from you Aaron. I appreciate the offer but really I need to start trying to do more things on my own so I thought the painting would be easy enough. Is Awlgrip a better product than Interlux?

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
It was a little hard to keep clean, needed vigorous brushing.
This is a good point. No matter which product you use, non-skid is a pain to keep clean. If you're a clean freak, it will drive you crazy. If this is the case, a very light application of the "sprinkle-on" stuff may be better and apply it only where absolutely necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts