Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I plan to either mix and match a few reels/rods I already own or purchase new combos for deep dropping. Actually I plan on dropping in less than 500ft for seabass and bluelines.

I already own a two TLD 25's and three 114 senators that we dont use. I thought about spooling them with 65lb braid and matching them with appropriate rods.

What non-electric reels would you guys suggest, or should these work?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
For bottom fishing in 300 ft +/- for sea bass and BLTs I use Avet sx and mx reels on Ande trolling rods (great rods, $50 at Tochtermans in Baltimore, but also light weight). Plenty of reel for the weight needed and fish you'll catch. I believe I've got 50 lb power pro on them. Less tiring to crank fish to the surface since it's a light combo and has good feel for bites. These combos are very versatile and get used for everything from rockfish trolling to cobia chumming. The reels you have will work great too, but will be a bit heavier. I tell my guys don't be afraid to put the rod in the rodholder when retrieving (particularly with no fish on), which does save energy.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The Shimano heavy jigging rods are awesome,versatile and reasonably priced at around $170. I have a Trevala 58 xxh i use for everything from deep dropping to about 500" to casting on lobster balls for mahi to jigging for tuna (got a 136lb. bigeye this year) to jigging and bottom fishing for sea bass in 100' or less, Even used it for trolling a couple years back and hooked a white marlin about 80lbs. You can use a conventional or spinning reel but want a fairly high speed retrieval. Those reels you mentioned don't take in much line per crank and will wear you out. I have a Shimano Saragosa spinning because I jut like spinning reels but the conventional reels are probably a little better suited for deep dropping.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
it really depends on what the application will be. jigging or meat dropping? also depends on the rod and line you want to use. u can buy one combination for all but it will not be optimal. i have a trinidad 14a paired with a custom 200 gr OTI fathom blade that i use for jigging 6 oz jigs. it has PE2 line. i can drop that in 300 feet or deeper if the conditions are right. it is very light and easy to jig all day and very fun for seabass. i have a smaller set up for lighter jigs also with PE2 (spinning). i also have a gold trinidad 40 on an OTI ocean extreme rod for deeper jigging with heavier jigs and meat dropping/ dropping for deeper species. it has double antireverse dogs and i put carbon drag washers in there. the newer trinis have standard carbon washers. it all comes down to preference. i like to use as light of a rig as i can get away with so i am comfortable. i have friends who use other heavier more standard setups, and they catch fish, but probably arent as comfortable. i would look for double dogs and carbon washers. also high gear ratio is not always optimal. its great for reeling up your bait quickly, but not necessarily for separating larger fish from the bottom. it may also not be good for jigging depending upon what you want to do/style of jigging.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas for the info. I will probably re-spoll the reels I have, and see how it goes. Cletus I have a four of those Ande trolling rods from Tochermans. Once I spool the reels I will use them with the Ande rods. I will keep my eyes open for Avet reel deals over the winter.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I use TLD 2 speed reels. The best thing I did was add T-bar handles. For $15 or so it makes reeling so much easier. Like Cletus said, hook em in your hands and then crank em in in the rod holder. I use 7ft bent buts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
TLDs and senators are ancient technology. Grab a Daiwa Saltist or Shimano Torium or Avet or Accurate 30 size reel and fill it to capacity with 65lb braid. Pair it with a heavy jigging rod (400+ gram) then call it a day. Why spend all that money on fuel, ice, bait etc. and go out there with clunky old tackle? With proper maintenance and cleaning your sweet new tackle will last a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.