Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The winter weather has been terrible with few weather windows to make it out. Slick calm seas all day made excellent conditions with a light current. The blueline tile fishing was good but still had to pick through some dog sharks. We tried for golden tile but the dog sharks got to our baits first so didn't catch any goldens. We did get our limit of blueline tiles up to 12 pounds filling the box. Great day offshore. As the waters warm with this warm weather we've been having, expect these dog sharks will be moving out of our waters soon. The best time to deep drop (in my opinion) is just after the dogs move out. The competition for food in the winter is intense with so many dog sharks around so once the dogs are gone, the bottom fishing is excellent as the resident fish are hungry after a hard winter of little food.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Thanks for sharing the report Mike! Some good eating right there. Did you see any other life out there in the deep? What was the water temperature at the surface? Thanks again and Tight Lines!!

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing the report Mike! Some good eating right there. Did you see any other life out there in the deep? What was the water temperature at the surface? Thanks again and Tight Lines!!

Zigh
><((((*>
Not a lot of life out there. A few birds here and there. A few whales. Water was 54-55. Looking at an SST shot, there was water to 65 about 10 miles to our east but didn't go there. Saw 2 other boats all day fishing. Things should start getting better as the water warms.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upper 50s the dogs will start moving out. By the low 60s they should be gone. Last year was a cold winter and we still had low 50s by mid April. If we keep having some warm temps, I'll go out a limb and say by 1st of April should be good to go (but I've been wrong before trying to think like a fish). :))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts