Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and 8 others went deep dropping on the Jill Carrie with Captain Jim Brincfield out of Long Bay Pointe marina yesterday.I took my chances on a trip not knowing any of the other anglers which Im not to keen on , but all knew how to fish which was good and I met some nice folks. The trip was all about fantastic bottom fishing that and we did rock n roll catching tilefish, knotheads and groupers. Captain Jim and his mate TJ were great, very professional and fun to fish with. Got to apologise to Captain Jim. I forgot about taking those groupers I caught up to Va Mar. Science Museum today as I had some other stuff to do and it slipped my still foggy mind .lol. It hurt so good- Started out catching seabass, then tiles 2 at a time as fast as you could get your line to the bottom(mixed with seabass) and then groupers. First time for me catching tiles or groupers, lotsa fun for sure-Bait up, put the reel in free spool, grab and eat a sammie, hit bottom , immediately set the hook, crank that line back up 300 ft and do it again- seriious pullage for sure. Only time you got to rest was when your line was dropping back to the bottom. I had never caught tiles or grouper before but did so and then some yesterday. I think the final tally for the boat was 128 tiles, 11 groupers and 130 knotheads. No citations for me but I had a great time-Awesome day, thanx for a great time Captn Jim. I recommend anyone wanting to catch some of these bad boys to hook up with Capn Jim and TJ- Craig-
Couple of pix of my bounty-:D
groupers

a couple of average tiles- my largest was just over nine pounds , the boat high was a little over 12-

my 3 baskets of "meat"

·
Registered
92 Posts
FYI, those groupers are wreckfish!!! Over the past 2 years, The Viking Fleet in Montauk, NY has been catching them on a fairly regular basis on some of their offshore bottom trips in depths of 300'+. Great catch and nice pix! Looks like plenty of good eats for a while. The blueline tilefish eat very well, their golden cousins eat even better.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like a great time. How do those tile fish taste? I have never had any and I keep hering the wreck guys talking about catching them. I know the grouper taste good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tiles

Throw them all back - they taste like mud. Just kidding - they are absolutely wonderful. Very rich tasting, much like lobster to me. Can't wait 'til my trip with Capt Jim on the 1st!
T

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Excellent work! Reminds me of my days in the Gulf where we deep-dropped for Red Snapper, Grouper, Triggers, and whatever else found our baits appetizing.
Evan.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Congrats Miles, looks like a sweet day.. Bet your wife's first comment was,,

God honey you have some nice meat there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the pictures

·
Registered
126 Posts
WTG on those fish, looks like a great time. with all these people telling of their great tales from fishing with Capt. Jim, looks like i need to book a trip sometime.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
I'm counting down the days untill my 3-3-07 deep drop trip. I've been tying rigs, buying odds & ends and thinking on what rod/reel combinations I want to bring. Question...did you bring a cooler on the boat or do you use the deck cooler on the JillCarrie??

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your emminence (sp) , I only brought my small food cooler on the boat and left my large cooler(s) in my truck. The Jill Carrie has those baskets with zip ties so you can tell which baskets are yours. Those fish of mine filled one big igloo and another standard size cooler. I would recommend bringing a beach chair type thing to sleep in and be comfortable for the ride. Some of the other guys did and i was envious and wish I had thought to do the same. Good luck to you on your trip. I also saw that you have your own plaque dedicated to you in the "washroom" ,lol.:D

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dang nice fishing Craig!! You got a nice pile(s) of groceries there!!!:D Nice on the water pics too. Looks like you had good seas to fish in?? Let us know how the wreckfish ate. Oh, that's right...your're not a fish eater!!!:eek: :p

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Nice going Craige !

Did your your wife give you a big smooch and apologize for jumping on you for buying all that equipment before you went ?:p :D

Dennis:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts