Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite some rough seas and cold weather, we went offshore bottom fishing yesterday. First we tried the spot where we have been catching the grouper. When we got near 50 fathoms the water temperature jumped more than 20 degrees to 66. Steam was coming off of the water. We should have brought the tuna gear. We tried a couple of spots with no grouper. We caught about a dozen tilefish. We then hit the 44 Fathom Wreck and had no problem boating our 100 fish limit of sea bass. The catch of the day was made by Bob "Sponge Bob" Manus (he was fishing with his sponges again). He caught our first wreck fish. I know nothing about these critters. We also caught about 15 little bluefish that we're kept for deep dropping bait or, with the success that we had last weekend, for flounder bait.

Today, Tricia and I went out after rockfish. We only had a short time, basically while the kids were in school. We started at the Green Can and the birds led me across the mouth of the bay and inshore. We spent our time fishing along the bay/ocean demarcation line. We were in diving gannets off of the high rise when it was time to head back. Tricia caught some fat, 30 something inch rockfish. We let them all go because sometimes we were a bit on the bay side of the line. On the way back to Rudee, the bite was going off back at the Green Can.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know much of anything about wreckfish. I only know what it is because Darren Foster told me that's what it is. They are a commercially caught fish so somebody eats them. From NC on down it looks like it is a limited entry commercial fishery with no recreational catch allowed. I do not think that it is regulated off of Virginia but again, this is a new fish to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.