Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thought of running to Duck for striper with 500 friends did not appeal to me so we ran east to deep drop with Jimmie, Rick, Fletcher, and the admiral Lanie with buddy boats C-Time and Matador. Also talked with Sea Change (Cirwin) to our south. Glassy, flat seas all the way to the canyon.

Pulled away from the dock at 4:30 am breaking a little ice and found a break over the canyon to 58 degrees. I was hoping maybe, just maybe the dogs would have thinned out at 58 degrees but I was wrong. First drop at 600 feet was nothing but dogs, most were smooth but the spiny dogs were there too. Cranked dogs all day long on pretty much every spot we dropped but did manage some meat fish in between.

Caught a variety of keeper fish from goldens to 30 lbs, bluelines to 15 lbs, BSB, bluefish to 32 inches, and even a 19 inch flounder in the deep. Our plan was to finish off the day on a deep wreck for BSB but the wreck we picked, Ostfriesland, was devoid of BSB which surprised us. Ran out of daylight before we could run south to the 44 fathom wreck.

Here are a few pics from the day. Lanie did not desire to crank dogs so she was our photographer for the day.

Cranked an endless number of dogs all day in most every spot. They took their revenge on the angler by twisting up our lines making us curse each and every one. doh

Rick and Fletcher with some nice goldens. Goldens (my opinion) are the best eating bottom fish out there.

I thought I had something nice cranking this creature up. Ever wonder why we see few British restaurants...that's because when you google conger eel, you mostly get mostly British receipts for conger eels. :D Jimmie brought it home to give to a friend to eat....yummy I'm sure.

Another wad brought up from the deep, mermaid's purses or shark eggs, also could be the eggs of skates, not sure which.

Here is a shot of the Matador with Captain Mike Beane (Kapoc) fishing from the bridge. :clapping2: Yes even Captains like to fish too.

Jimmie with a blueline. This seemed to be the average size of the ones we found.

I managed a nice 15 pound blueline. :))

Rick Wineman with a chopper blue.

Here is a Matador bringing up a nice grouper from the deep. :thumbup:

Chuck (Flounderman) hand cranking a 45 lb golden aboad C-Time. dancedance

Nice variety of fish out there even with the dogs. A good change of pace from chasing stripers. Happy New Year to all my fellow anglers.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Hey Mike,
Nice seeing you all out there. Congrats to you and your entire crew for a job well done out there!....Will be writing up our report shortly. What a way to end the year:thumbup:!! SWEET. Happy New Year to you and your family... you know we have to be careful about this deep dropping thing cause it could become addicting! (LOL)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Great report Mike, I will have to wait until I am not at work to see the pictures. I am sure it was very nice out there.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
now that beats the pants off a striper. pretty work to all. way to bring to a close mike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the ride Mike. Defintely better than cold water and lotsa traffic. Gotta clean a few fish today. Could not have asked for better weather to end the year after all this cold and wind we have had lately.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good fishing guys, but don't put down what we did down South. The weather was awsome, and the fishing was hot. Smiles all around, lots of traffic or not. Glad that you guys had fun too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A little help? Shark Identification

This baby shark came up with some more of the mermaid's purses that were "caught".

Great time with the guys. I had just as much fun watching them all fish and taking pictures as they did fishing! It was a beautiful day on the water! And a chance to get away from all this snow! Summer, where are you?
~Lanie

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Mike,
Good talking with you out there. We managed about 30 nice sea bass at the wreck I was on, just me and a buddy on board, so not too bad. I think I have your conger eel beat with a 7 footer though lol. Happy New Year!

Craig

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Mike another great report and end of December to boot.You definetly got that fish sonar dialed in despite those spineys.I may have found a spot for my crew to try late last fall 2 canyons North of ya wish us luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts