Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 2, 2011, I had the pleasure to meet Lefty Kreh and get him to sign a couple books for me. The occasion was the Mason-Dixon Outdoor Writers convention in Solomons Island. Lefty was doing a presentation about writing along with C. Boyd Pfeifer and King Montgomery.
(My brother Phil took the pictures)

Anyway, it may come as a surprise to some but I had never caught a fish on a fly - until today May 2, 2011, a month to the day after meeting Lefty. Captain Tom Hughes exposed me to fly fishing more than any one person. He told me since I met Lefty I had to catch a fish on a fly. I wanted to now more than ever, if only just to say I did.

As it happened, I was off work today and went to Deer Creek with my St Croix spinning rod planning to play around and simply enjoy nature. Wading in among the fly anglers, I watched as they cast their flyrods. Casually I commented to one fly angler how I never caught a fish on a fly. He immediately said, "I'll show you. It would make my day." I thought to myself, This is a perfect opportunity, why not? It would make my day too!

Don kindly took the time to show me how to cast a fly on his 7 weight Powell flyrod. It was no easy task trying to teach an old dog a new trick but Don patiently persisted. Little did we each know until much later in the day that we were fellow TFers. Ended up meeting Don Hershfeld and his wife Karen. It was a special day on Deer Creek and one which I'll remember for a long time.

Thanks again Don and Karen. Nice meeting you both.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Congrats Tim! Welcome to the addiction. You won't believe what you can catch on the fly if you put your mind to it. You've caught the "Poor Man's Tarpon", time for bigger and better!

-D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
WTG Tim! Before becoming addicted to LTJing on the Bay, flyfishing for hickories is what I lived for. Poor Man's Tarpon is a great way to describe them, don't ya think? I also see you found the best spot on the creek!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Very cool, Tim. Gimme a shout next time yer headed up that way, I can't seem to motivate myself to go, need a little push!
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
225 Posts
That Don seems like a real decent fellow... I follow his novels on Fishdeepcreek...

Nice work on getting your first!!!

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Welcome to the club. Wait till you hook a 2-3 foot striper or bluefish..you will scream with joy (like I do). Lefty can also tell you about carp on the fly..freshwater bonefish/redfish..

I'll admit I typically start with lures but if the action is good, I'll switch to the long rod.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congratulations on your catch! You are toast now! Ten years and thousands of dollars latter for me:eek2:, but you will enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Timbo....
That's only part of the addiction,wait till you catch something on a fly or streamer that you tied !!!
Tying is a great pastime for the times that you can't fish and equally addicting !!!
Wen

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yea Buddy!!! I wish I was not 3 hours from the fishing hole at work... Our friend Ange would be proud... he just gave me a nice 5 wt. rod... I'm almost afraid to use it as I fear it will send me into the "Most tragic stage of the disease"... I already own a vice and tie some really crude "big ugly flies"... mostly for Perch,Rock and Flounder... but it is really cool... to catch one on something you've tied yourself... That whole area over there has been the making of many a good afternoon for me... Glad you had a good one too! Thanks for Posting...

·
Registered
503 Posts
That is a great story Tim, long time no see! Shad on the fly is my favorite fishing! This is the first year I sadly did not pursue them, $4 gas has givin me the fishing blues. It is so much fun on the long rod. Have fun and catch them up for me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Way to go Timbo, I bet that was fun catching that shad on the fly rod. I would like to learn to use the fly rod but the guy who was suppose to teach me died.I want to catch a small mouth bass on a fly rod before I go with the Lord. I hope to do that this year yet when I hook up with a buddy. Lots of fun. AL

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Congrats, it's a new addiction. Soon, if not already, you'll be thinking " what else can I catch on fly?". I had the opportunity to take an impromptu class with Lefty and Stu years ago when I live in Key Largo. So much fun and I remember thinking it's the soul of fishing. Especially if you tie your own flies. I got away from it for years but vowed to dive back in this year. Enjoy. To me just casting is relaxing...

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Congrats on your first fish on the fly:high5: You're going to get hooked and you know what that means, there goes the tackle "budget" :))
Thanks for the report and pics:thumbup:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey Timbo,

I just got home to Garrett County and saw your post. Took a digital vacation, you might say. Tim, I'll say it where everyone can 'hear' it... you did very well with your casting, especially given the sinking leader and heavy fly we had on that Powell outfit at the time. For the longest time we were stuck on the proper pace, and I didn't know if it was ever going to gel for 'ya... but then, just like that, you started hitting on all cylinders, and so remarkably consistent too. I've shown more than a few folks how to cast, and you can be justifiably proud of what you managed to accomplish.

Drop me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you copies of the lesson notes, in more detail than we covered on the stream. No sooner will you find your groove for a foundation and surprise... you'll have to sort'a unlearn basic caster casts and start learning fishing casts (at least for use on streams). Well really, the latter are just extensions of the former.

It was truly satisfying to spontaneously see you go from fly zero to fly Zorro, especially on one of those days where (for me) everything else I was trying to do seemed to go wrong! Don't let the talk about getting addicted/converted to this sub-sport scare you off at all. Flyfishing isn't any better or worse than any other kind of fishing, its just something more interesting and challenging to do between bites, perhaps.

Just because one can drop plenty of dough on it doesn't mean one should or has to. Perfectly servicable tackle can be had on the cheap via Ebay (guys who have to have the latest and greatest will offload last year's wonder rod at a bargain), and Tom knows what you might need I'm sure. Remarkably little in the way of flies can cover a broad spectrum of fishing ops, really. You might want to resist the urge to tie flies, as it is definitely a zero-sum pursuit.

I for one am looking forward to getting back out to fish on the bay in your CC... having basically led a Chesapeake-deprived life it'll only be my second time EVER! Doesn't have to be stripers... could go for croaker (better eating, IMHO). In the end just being there would be an experience I'll never forget, regardless of what does or doesn't happen to get caught. I enjoy teaching casting, so if there are others who'd like to swap say, some LTJ lessons for some quality instruction on how to sling plastic string, let me know via PM. I like using every kind of tackle just fine.

It appears the streams up this way are finally starting to calm down and the bugs are getting started in earnest, so come on up for a little trouting before we get too far into stealth season (summer) here on the Yock. The Casselman would make a good place for you to practice your new fly skills, and maybe the upper North Branch too.

Btw, the fishing at Deer Ck just kept getting better and better. Fished with my uncle on Wednesday morning in the rain. Sensing a hot bite, for a change I opted to quietly keep a personal count going. Started late (0730) and quit early (1100), getting well over a hundred of those poor men's tarpon. Since I'd eaten other's dust at times over the prior days, not consistently able to quite crack the retrieve code, this had some redemptive value for my self-confidence.

Tom (my uncle) took a large number of females after I knocked off, including one that so help me appeared to go at least 18" (biggest I've yet seen, although we didn't have any handy official measure along). He has big hands and struggled to be able to grasp that one.

Dckhd247, thanks for the kind words. I'm a polarizing figure, it would seem. Loved or hated, with no in-between. Passion'll do that - its easily misinterpreted, and folks are oh so quick to judge and so slow to ever reconsider. My lot in life I guess. We are all jerks, its only that some of us are trying harder than others to hide the fact! Btw, I wrote another 'novel' on my latest dose of fishing on FDC.com, so you'll have more bedtime reading there if you like!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. And thanks for your encouragement Don. BTW, I'm now in the market for a fly outfit for shad. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts