Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Self explanatory. I see that Deer Creek is a little low, but has some water in it (unlike last year's bust). I don't fish the mouth, but anything turned up yet? Would hate to make that trek just for the ride.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havnt been yet myself but i hear the shad have started showing up. Not action packed yet but some are being caught.
Hey J. Thx. I don't need to find a bunch of them well UP the creek, just enough to attract the herons. Its just a pleasant place to wade on in, get in the rhythm of a wet fly swing, hear the peepers and toads, see some trillium blooming (a bit later maybe?), and a good change of pace from the larger rivers. So you're hearing some have moved beyond the mouth, check? d

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Their must be some coming up:yes:. A friend:eek2: of mine, went up this evening. He wouldn't have gone , if none wern't showing:thumbup:. Yea yea yea dispite what some my think, I really do have a friend.:hysterical:mybe even afew bwahahaha

And how's thing going don, long time seeing no post.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saltfly, thx for asking. I found Facebook, and am presently inflicting huge bandwidth consumption upon old and new friends who don't fish... mostly about fishing. Well, they'd say so. If they hear about fishing more than once a year, they figure its all one likes to do, i guess. They are almost right about that. Had a good ice season up at Deep Creek Lake with friends every w/e. Things are just ok otherwise... trying to deal with some stubborn blues/blahs. A trip up to Deer Creek might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard the main river was way up and running cold too. Not so? Or doesn't that much matter once the fish get into the creek proper?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Don wayne told me the main river was high and muddy. The creek on the other hand was low and clear. This is the second year deer creek has been running lower then normal, for this time on year. No one seems to know why this is happening . Something has to be happening up stream that no one seems to know about. I'm sure sooner or later some one will find out. As for the fish. They have been up and down. This time on year, the water temp. Will cause them to move that much. As soon as we get more consistent water temps. They will come up and stay there, even with small temp. Swings.
If you have been over on facebook, do you visit joe bruce? We have met up a few times to fish for pickeral and have been doing real well. I got a kayak :eek2:and am still getting use to it. My dam old butt has a problem getting up out of it. But its been fun to fish from.:yes:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe very kindly invited my uncle and i to join him for a couple of outings many years ago now, and delivered some wonderful fly and spin memories 'downyocean.' My fishin' buddy wife and i have a few kayaks, but really haven't put them to much regular use. I gotta fix that, especially since the lodging / lessons biz up DCL way has so softened. The whole idea was to be able to get off the shore or out of the shallows, to fish where logistically/expense-wise i wouldn't be towing a boat downstate. Oh, i think everybody's butt goes numb in a 'yak sooner or later, right?. I almost drove up your way yesterday, but went to Chain Bridge instead. Yeah, it seems very odd that the soring flows on Deer Creek have been so scant. Still, i look forward to hearing about whatever you find up there.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerry, thank you! Shadwise, i'm about Fletcher'ed out for the moment. Perhaps just as well, given the significant precipitation being forecast. The Potomac is so apt to raise and get dirty. Actually, for the last several outings there, I've been tossing a bucktail, trailed by one or two more shad-appropriate offerings, hoping to pick up an odd striper. But the herring were so thick on Friday that I'd imagine any rockfish up that way might already be quite fat and happy? I'd like to learn more about that fishery. Just looking around at other anglers targeting stripers, it looks like nearly all effort gets expended very early or late in the day, keyed on eddies deep and shallow, bucktails, shad bodies, Assassins, and the like. I see daytime effort expended by aggressively jigging bucktails along primary current seems. But over the years I think I've only seen one party actually net a striper, and that by still fishing the bottom with cut bait. I don't need to catch one that bad (no disrespect intended; I just prefer more active methods). By day, I see very occasional 'blow-ups' at the edge of the main current, sometimes being lucky enough to get enough of a glimpse to get a positive ID; more often just an audible judgement call. Seems a little like musky fishing - a whole lot more casting and retrieving than rod bending and line stretching, but shad do spoil one's expectations quite a bit. For striper fishing using artificials, what would be considered an average or a good outing, catch-wise? Are these fish distributed throughout the water column? Do they trail concentrations of actively diving cormorants? It might be more entertaining to toss a noisy top water plug, but I don't observe anyone using that sort of presentation. I guess I've posed questions in the wrong forum, but there are plenty of crossover anglers, and any advice if welcome, given how little I know about that fishery.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Don, I think you are talking about fishing for stripers in the Potomac. It is illegal to target stripers above Lapidum in the Susquehanna until June 1, although lots of people do it. More often than not, I will hook a couple of stripers every year on a #13 Tony fished for shad, and about as often, have a big striper take the shad on the end of my line. Needless to say, very few are landed in the river current on shad size tackle. When stripers are feeding on herring and shad, the most success comes from "matching the hatch" with large plugs or plastics or like you said, cut bait. Top water is a little later in the season upriver but sometimes successful on the Flats, Tony spoons are a good cold water choice. Brandon posted three articles I had written on the Susquehanna a year or so ago but they are long gone by now. If you are interested, go to the following link. It is not much of a web site, but it is all I need. By the way, start at the bottom and read in 1,2, 3 order

By the way, the both Deer Creek and the river will be high and muddy if we get all the rain they are calling for tonight and tomorrow.

Good luck,
Jerry

http://jlnorris.webs.com/apps/blog/

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Jerry, You are right, i was unwittingly mixing a question about the Po within a thread about the Susky. Your three articles were very informative. Even with limited striper experience, i realize how hit or miss they can be. Even if its a well known 'community hole', knowing a specific place to at least get started is a huge help and confidence booster. I bumped into my first-ever striper near and across from the upstream end of Robert island at evening, on a topwater, as a boy. It fell into the upper end of the size class you mentioned, but set a new threshold for pullage at the time. I was raised to keep my speech polite, but as that fish stripped line, spontaneously several saucy words popped out - real loud too! What a memory, and one i've not taken the time to revisit for multiple decades. Gott'a fix that, i think.

I like the vibe of both venues, and you gave me an idea to consider trying on the former. I floated one time from Conowingo to the Old Mill at Rock Run (using pontoon craft, during the shad run's peak), but the water came up unexpectedly early, and so it was a rather quick trip, with way too few stops along the way (anchoring in strong currents didn't seem too smart in such a small craft!) I suppose i should do that one again, but next time go in early summer on a cloudy day? Conventional tackle early and late; maybe fly fish by full light of day (for smallmouth maybe, or something else?).

But on the Po i could hoof a light float tube to the old concrete helo - pad (thx to Salmo for explaining what on earth that was built for; anybody know more about its history?) and drift down to Fletchers later in the white shad run. Walking the towpath beats rowing all the way to CB, and i could get an earlier start than when say, waiting for a rental boat. Better yet I could skip the longer walk and the pedestrian bridge entirely by just floating across the canal, so maybe i need to rig the pontoons with wheels to reach the helo pad?

Getting around nearer CB when shorebound on the Po is a jumble, (unlike using the old railroad bed up on the Susky on its western bank). Getting around on foot in the dark there seems like something tricky even during my younger days. Maybe i could just try and arrange with DanD and AlexB to rent a boat the night before and put-put on upstream super early. What say ye, Salmo?

Given their peak abundance (while still fun), catching a gazillion hickories in either venue can so spoil a man's expectations of those places, y'know? Its about high time to re-calibrate and revisit the drama... doing the right things at the right times in the right places, hoping with reasonable chance for the more whopping topwater take, and to feel that shocking pullage again.

Any and all advice to help make a fresh installment of that sort of memory would be very appreciated. Its a long drive from Garrett County.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Don, the river is falling and clearing. We fished from a boat around the old mill on Thursday and had 60+ hickories. Water temps are coming up and next week should see good fishing in Deer Creek.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts