Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinkin about shad on the creek tomorrow mornin.........but do you think the rain & cold will mess things up?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Once they start the weather really doesn't have much affect on them. The hickories are just starting so you should do OK.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Hummm, I've never seen that happen. I've caught them in the river just below the dam while it was snowing. Creeks must respond quicker to air temp change than the river.
Not true. The cold will send them out of the creek back into the river. Won't be any good in the creek until early next week.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
They'll bite in the mud, but not when its cold, regardless of clarity.
I was up there Tuesday and only saw a few hickories in the river, I'm personally going to wait till next week before trying them again.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Everone is right. Deer Creek will cool off a lot faster than the Susky. A cold snap as hard and long as this one will put a damper on the hickory run going up into Deer Creek. But the Susky, along with the Conowingo pool, is a huge heat sink and will cool off a lot slower than Deer Creek.

If I'm not mistaken, the flood gates at Conowingo were finally closed today. So flows should be a little more fishable. Also, this reduced flows will permit more shore acess at a greater number of locations. Don't know about clarity in the Susky though.

All-in-all, it sounds like the Susky hickory run is still in first gear. This cold snap came just at the wrong time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
slow shad fishing

Fished the area today and it was slow, very slow. Only saw 3 fish caught in the river and all but a few of the herring and shad in the creek have pulled back down to deeper water in the river. Did see blue herons, osprey, and eagles working the creek below the picnic grounds. The levels on the river are dropping and appeared to be getting clearer. It's windy and very cold, may wait tell next week hoping it gets warmer.
Wayne B.

Picture taken yesterday on creek, none in the same spot today.
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1761&stc=1&d=1175808304

·
Registered
961 Posts
Wayne - I know I speak for many when I say we really appreciate the timely updates on the fishing in the river and creek. I am dying for some bendage, but will wait until my vacation starts next Wednesday. Joe and I will see you on the creek.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I chickened out on a solo flats run, so instead did some chores. Had a couple of hours in the afternoon and fished below the mill. Caught 13 hickories, all but one on a white body, pink head and tail. Fish were on the bottom and they would not hit anything higher up. Took the trailing spoon off and added second dart and results improved, The water below deer creek had two feet of visibility, but muddied up farther off the bank. Water temp was 49 degrees. I think it will be slow for the next week, but there are enough fish in the river for a fun outing.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Wayne,

Thanks for the cool pics! I opted to not come up because of this cold front. Hope it warms up and will get up there next week if it does.

Brandon

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ctb
Thanks for the kind words.
I try to keep the reports short and accurate. Looking forward to fishing with you, Joe, and the rest of the gang on the creek this year.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Brandon
You made a wise choice not coming up till next week. I can see a small pod of shad below the bridge at Stafford and they have been there for a week but darn if I can get them to take a fly. This cold weather and maybe the high cold water has got everything really screwed up. As you may know shad and herring are very water temp sensitive. There only purpose for being here in the first place is to spawn and that takes place in the mid 50's and above. The creek right now is very clear, low and slow, not a good thing. A cold snap like we are having now can drop the water temp maybe 10 degrees with these water conditions over night. The river on the other hand has a tendency to stay at a constant temp over a longer period of time. Dirty water doesn't seem to bother them and they seem to prefer it to clear and so do I. In fact for me the best days to fish are very warm, cloudy/dirty/ slightly muddy water on the high side. Let's hope next week brings those conditions. To prove the point of water temp sensitivity, all the hundreds of herring that were in the creek like in the photos above have now disappeared, can't be found in the upper part of the creek.

Look for the "fish now " post for Octorara and Deer Creek.
<o:p></o:p>
Wayne B.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts