Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was invited to hunt the property of a friend who has a small herd of does coming out into a pasture in the evening. I went today to scout with the intent of taking just my son who is now showing an interest in hunting. (he is a fishing nut) Tha basic set-up is a narrow hedgerow looking into a pasture / bottom. The does come out about 40 yards away to feed on clover. It seemed like a slam dunk deal for my son to go with me on the hunt.

As we left the field the owner asked if he and his son (same age as my boy) could sit with us to watch the hunt. I am all for it but managing movement and sound from 4 people is a challenge I have not delt with. A good friend suggested a blind.

It only needs to be one sided. The back and sides are covered by the hedge row. I am thinking a simple 2X3 frame with burlap stapled to it. Maybe 8' long and 5' high with a slot to see and shoot out of. From there I will bury it flush with the hedge row.

Does this sound like a decent plan to make this hunt work for both kids and my friend Dad? Any tips or suggestions on building the blind??

I will say these deer are walking around other houses to hit this spot. They are most likely use to people, movement and scent so we may be able to make this happen.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Probably will work but I would try and use cover (branches)from hedgerow to look more natural and blend in.If you could have built it a month ago to give time for the deer to get use to it you would be better off.You could stake off a piece of 2 by 4 wire and weave branches and such in or spend 80 bucks on a premade ground blind.Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only got the invite this past week so it is sort of an "it is what it is" deal - Mostly just want a chance for it to work for the kids - Will definetly try to work in branches to naturalize it a little - Worse comes to worse I can use it for late m-loader after they have had time to get use to it

·
Registered
546 Posts
How about a decoy deer bomb? Pretty cool. When they go off, the deer are blinded for a few minutes, then you can run out and grab them.
I know a guy...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ground blind

For years, I have used a 6'-8' piece of Camo Webing, about 4' tall. I cut some 1" or less limbs with forks on the ends and stick them in the ground then hang the webing from them just high enough to allow shouldering the gun. Pick a place along the edge of the field with a little cover to the sides and good cover behind it where you have vision at along the edges out a few feet -- preferably NOT with the sun in your face. Don't be concerned with seeing the edges of the growth, the deer will see you before they finally decide to come out into the field. With camo, a face mask and hat, you melt into the background. It's been a very versital, mobile, quick and easy "blind" with good success for a long time.
Good luck, and keep those youngsters in the woods!!!:thumbup:
budc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts