Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for my fellow Bow hunters.

How do you feel about bow hunting for deer in the rain or when the leaves are still wet? I've blood trailed my share of deer and recovered most. But personnaly I don't bow hunt in the rain or just after because I am concerned that I may lose the blood trail because the blood getting washed away. Your thoughts????

·
Registered
401 Posts
I shot one this evening with the leaves still wet and with it spitting rain. Even after an hour and a half after the shot the blood was still there, quite evident (though not as much as if it were dry... just more than most think) and pretty easy to locate. What makes it difficult is that fact that the leaves are glossy. When it's dry nothing on the woods' floor is glossy but blood. So in all, I think that as long as you make a good shot which is going to produce good blood you shouldn't have anything to worry about to an extent. When I say to an extent I mean that if it's pouring rain very hard... that blood is going to wash away.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ricky
Thanks for the reply and congratulations on your deer. As far as I am concerned any deer taken with a bow is a trophy.

I tend to agree that if you make a good shot there should be a good blood trail. I guess it’s the shots that aren’t as good as we like them to be and the deer goes farther with a light blood trail. I would think the leaves being wet would make it that much harder to find the blood trail. I hate to lose deer that I have shot. And yes I have lost a couple. I think if you hunt long enough it will happen even to the best hunter. So I have chosen not to hunt when I think my chances of losing a blood trail are high. I.E. Raining or wet ground. Just wanted to hear what some other folks do. Again thanks fro the reply and Good Luck this season!

John

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I've tracked and lost too many deer for friends who hunted in the rain. Personally I don't do it unless I'm firearm hunting. Let me quantify the first part of my answer by saying I'm tireless when tracking deer and have gone for miles and days before I've given up on deer I didn't even shoot.

·
Registered
14,262 Posts
I personally won't bow hunt in the rain. A blood trail is essential to recovering a deer shot with a bow............Gary

·
Registered
401 Posts
I should rephrase. In pouring rain... no I won't. If it's spitting or drizzling I will be out there. During firearms season, I will be out no matter what.

·
Registered
14,262 Posts
I don't care how good you can shoot.............even the best shots miss their mark once in a while. There are enough things that can go wrong bowhunting but shooting a deer in the rain can be controlled............Gary

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
My first deer and only deer was from the ground with a bow. I'm a decent shot as we always had bows and arrows in the yard since we were old enough to walk, but we were never taught to hunt by my father. Only to shoot.

Anyway, I had 6 doe run towards me one afternoon in the rain. One of them was within 10 yards. I raised up, had the shakes like in Deliverance, and fired. I hit the deer in the gut, mid section, but high. The blood stream that comenced afterwards was like a fire hose out both sides. The deer, even with a gut shot, didn't make it 30 yards. I saw her fall but the blood trail could have been tracked even if you were color blind. But this probably isn't the case every time.

So, if you can shoot, I say do it. But my experience is lacking.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank all of you for your replies. Sounds like some of you can find a blood trail under pretty challenging conditions.

Being partially color blind I need the leaves dry to find the blood trail. Yes it does take me quite a bit longer to blood trail a deer. But I bow hunt on dry days to maximize my chances of finding a hit deer. During gun hunts on wet days I wait until I have a perfect shot so I can drop the deer in it's tracks.

I just wanted to know what other folks were doing. Thanks again for your replies.

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll add. This blackpowder season I was hunting in the rain. Did everything I could to keep the breach dry. Rain stopped, deer came out, 50yd shot and the gun delay fired. I hit the deer, but dont know where. Found trickles of blood and lost the trail. Took up the search in the morning with a friend. Showers came through during the night and needless to say, we found nothing. Two lessons learned for me on this one. With a bow, I am spooked right now. I will not put myself in that position with a bow eventhough I have in the past. Main problem is I love hunting in a drizzle. If I do with a gun, it will be a dead on shoulder shot to try and drop them in their tracks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts