Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to deer hunting and have a stupid question. In the early bow season is it the right time to use a deer scent and if so what type. I figure it is too early to use a doe in heat scent but what about a tarsal gland scent. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Tarsal, as is doe in heat, is primarily a mating scent. Curiosisty scents like vanilla, apple may work but something like a straight doe pee could be your best choice.

My personal preferance is to always go scentless and rely more on calling than anything. A friend of mine who used to use Tink 69, switched to Code Blue and had nothing but bad experciences. Spooked deer everytime he used it, both buck and doe.

The one problem with scents is keeping them fresh and depending on what the deer were eating where the scent was harvested, and what the deer are eating where you hunt, the odors can be different causing immediate alarm.

This is all assuming you are talking about attracting scents and not covering scents. I still don't use them either, although I used to use fox urine as a cover scent with good success.

Now it's its scentlock head to toe, rubber boots and scent eliminating spray on everything when I get to my stand. Never have any issues.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used scents yrs. ago and spooked more deer than not. Was a scent once called Davy Bracken. I and buddys of mine had good luck by putting it on a drag rag going to the stand. deer would come trailing with there noise on the ground. Havent see it in a store in yrs. But i've always said i think the scents atrack more hunters for the ($$$) than they do deer. I also go scent less and do very little calling. Been deer hunting for 32 yrs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

I appreciate the insight. Hopefully it will pay off this weekend in the woods. I do all of the scent lok stuff now but have been reading oll of the stuff on the scents didn;t know if it was worth it or not. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ed,

One of the guys I was hunting with saw a buck chasing does in a field all afternoon last weekend in Halifax County, N.C. so the general rules may not apply. I'm also using scent loc. and careful about hunting the wind when the weather man can predict it correctly.

Last year I tried the buck bomb & the candles from hottrails. Didn't have a buck come to either but, if I had to choose between the 2 I would use the candles again bc they seemed to cover my sent well when other deer were down wind. The bomb goes off & that's it ....... vs. you can see and smell the hottrails all during the hunt that seemed to last 3-4 hrs. Didn't try the acorn candles this year during bow season bc they are hitting food sources enough that the does at least have been easy to pattern.

http://www.hottrails.com/default.htm

Russ

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just a cover scent in early season. Hunt the evenings on travel routes from the bedding area to the food and you will see Deer. Learning to hunt the wind will help you much more in the early season.

DEAN

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just use cover scents this time of year. Get high in your treestand and play the wind right and you should be fine. Fresh Tinks 69 has been good to me. Only during the rut. I have found it useless any other time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up just using a cover scent and had one walk right under me and hand out for a little bit so I think the cover scent and scent lok worked. I didn't stick him though b/c he was only a small buck. Hopefully will see something a little bit bigger when I go later this week.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
would it be helpful to use a drag rag with doe urine on my walk out to my tree stand? what would be a good cover sent ? iwill be hunting muzzleloading . I will be hunting the geroge washington national forest any suggestion on how the hunt the moutnains would be helpful?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also use Scent lok and have had great success with a product called Buck Nip. It smells like licorice and I was pretty skeptical the first time I used it but have found it works well.

The first time I used it was on private land and had several deer downwind lip curl and come in to it directly, I used it in a 20 yd. circle around my stand and then put some on my boots before going up in the stand. Both does and bucks came in aggressively on my circle.

The second time was at Patapsco and had a mature doe come in off a ridge downwind of me and walk directly in my path to my stand. She hung around for 20 minutes circling the stand wondering where the "candy" was.

I used to never put down scent this early, but bought it at Gander mountain in Salisbury and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
cmac, has my curiosity peaked to try it. Like I said I generally avoid all scents, but I know that deer are naturally curious and seem to respond almost without hesitation to the sweeter smells like vanilla or in this case licorice.

My only concern, is with them lip curling, is there a greater chance of them picking you up?? I have noticed in the past (and read) that deer can detect where a smeel is coming from, whether that be in the from the tree or on the gorund. I woul dbe careful about using curiosity scents on any of your equipment so as not to draw their attention to you. The circle idea is a good one.

Gotta' find some to try it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You are not supposed to use cover scent with scent loc or any other carbon clothing brands. The carbon will just filter out the scent.

Personally, I think you should do everything possible to be scentless. Even if you use a cover scent, it won't smell like what is around you and the deer will smell it. It might not scare them, but it might cause them to look in your direction.

When I used to sell the carbon clothing, I would suggest to people to first follow these steps and determine if it was worth the money to buy the clothing, because basically if you don't follow the steps its a waist anyway.

Get up early in the morning and wash in non scented soap. Wash all clothing in non scented soap and store in scent free bags (big zip locks work). Wear scent free antipersperant. Buy a backpack and carry clothing to stand so you are not sweating in your hunting clothing making them smell. Always keep cloting in bag when not wearing, etc. Try to rid your body and your clothing of as much smell as possible.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I talked to big time bow hunter the other night and he was telling me about his sat. hunt. He uses scent loc and rubber boots but when he witnessed several raccoon's walk between his stand and 4 does that he wasn't going to shoot he said he was going to try some **** urine. He said the ****'s walked within 5 yrds. of the deer and they didn't even look up from their browsing. Think I'm going to try some too after I use the rest of my fox pee. Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts