Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to 5 other people besides myself that went yesterday and everybody killed or saw deer. Seems like they really moved after the snow. Time for you guys to get back out in the woods.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I know of two nice bucks that were killed in the last two days in the snow. I haven't been able to get off, but I am today. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I went the evening of the snow and didn't see a thing. I thought for sure they'd be moving before and during the intial snow of the year? Glad someone is doign well.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
My personal observations have always been that once a low pressure system passes (Snow or rain) and the barometer starts rising again that deer will get up and move very well. Before the low pressure comes in they will also move well but there is a point when they will bed down to prepare for the incoming weather.

After a high pressure system blows in (literally) they will be out hot and heavy once the wind backs off little bit, depending on how windy it gets.

With todays breeze/wind I am waiting until tomorrw afternoon with 5-10 MPH winds and 38-40 temps. Gives me butterflies thinking about.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Here's just an opinion in followup to my earlier post.

Yesterday Thursday on the eve of today's storm, I hunted the same hilltop that I had been hunting all year and had seen deer every day out. I have only hunted that hill 5 times this year have taken 3 deer (1 Buck 2 does) on 3 diferent days and last week passed on opps. at 6 different groups of does looking for mountable antlers. (My freezer is already 90% full with a lot of time to go. My point being, this hilltop is a regular producer for me.

Yesterday on the eve of a front, with calm winds, snow on the gorund and hunted the warmest part of the day, afternoon into evening I thought shooting a last a nd final doe for the year would be a gimme. DID NOT SEE A DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My theory is this. The hilltop I hunt is facing northwesterly and is therefore shielded from any warming effects from the sun and was still snow covered, however the hillside across the river bottom obviously faces SE and therefore was snow free. In addition is on the edge of the fields.

My gut is telling me that once the snow melted off that hill earlier in the week, that the deer stayed there rather than returning to their normal bedding area on my side. There were very few tracks along the main trail and almost no fresh sign.

Not sure it makes a difference when everything is covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts