Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me the limit for flounder in Delaware? I'm thinkin its 4 per person at 17''? Plan on going with a friend tuesday and fishing at the c-bouy...he claims its been some good flounder caught in that area recently...anyone know? any hot tips? will anyone even see this post?[shy]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Limits are 17 1/2", and 4 a day. Plenty of flounder in the anchorage right now, but about 20 throwbacks to 1 keeper. I was out there yesterday and caught 25 with no keepers. Then again things change everyday it seems out there so maybe you'll get some nice ones. Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply! any tips on what the hot baits are? seems alot are using pink flies w/about 6 to 8in strips of squid....seems like alot of squid

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well I think they are useing the bigger strips to try to get bigger flounder. What happened yesterday was the bigger pieces would get nipped off in back off the hook from the smaller ones. Also it is loaded with small sea bass. We caught about 30 or so with the biggest being 11". Alot were only 6-8" . Perfect size to make it hard to fish for flounder. Great bait stealers.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
In the DeBay last week, we used bucktail hair teasers in a variety of colors, with minnies, squid and cut bait, to entice only three keeper flounder out of about forty flounder caught. Many fat croaker still around, and also sea robins, sea bass, a few small sharks, and one huge stargazer. The biggest flounder (25") was caught using a yellow and white hair teaser, tied with red thread, and only a minnow attached. Hope this helps.

Yeauhp, this board is slow. Seems DeBay anglers are notorious for keeping info close to the vest. Others that are willing to share will occasionally post DeBay reports on the ChesBay original board, where the readership is higher.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fish right on the artificial reefs in the lower bay with big strip baits. Nothing fancy because you will lose rigs. Sunday 2 guys 8 fish smallest 3.5 and largest around 7 pounds, with few throwbacks and no trash fish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Elbo...sounds promising! I,m fishing with a work buddy on his boat and he has been in the mid bay region several times this year for rock fish, not sure if he is very familiar with the lower bay or not...he may be but is there a public ramp to access that area? he was talking the Delaware bay for Tuesday on rumors of big flounder caught arround the c-bouy but sounds like many throwbacks per keeper. Any idea what the rock fish bite is in that area? and I,m thinkin that the croakers should be there also...or not?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only rock would be around structure, at night or low light conditions. There a many taken at Indian River Inlet on artificials.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Elbo hit the nail on the head. Any structure will help out big time. If you are going out to C buoy you are only about 2 miles from site 7, and you'll be going right near site 6. Either one of these might help produce bigger fish. As for stripers the water is still to warm for them to move in with any numbers. You might pick one or 2 up by chance, but they are going to be schoolies. I havn't heard of any stripers out of Indain River Inlet over 10lbs in over a month, and that means it's bad. Stripers need water temps under 72 to have enough oxygen. The water at G buoy was still 81 surface yesterday.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi:
If you can try something try this:

Get a chrome ball rig. Tie on a 4 inch leader to the ball then the hook. SHORT LEADER IS A MUST if you fish the reefs and wrecks.
6-10 inch leader for the bay. Now put on a T'ZER fly or a bucktail on a tube. Put on a 6 inch squid strip or a Mack fillet. Put it on skin side p . Now add a killie.
About 8-10 inches ABOVE the chrome ball, add a dropper loop. Slide on a T'zer Fly OR a BUCKTAIL on a tube. Add a smaller sized squid strip and then put on a Sandeel (3) or spearing(3)
KEEP THIS STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN when fishing. That way you won't hang up so much.
Keep rod tip close to water and when that fish hits, lift straight up and hold it there. That fish won't be able to dive back down to the reef and hang up.
This rig will catch SEA BASS, BAss, Blues, Weaks, Drum and whatever else swimds around.
See my webiste under Fluke and look at doormatter espress. I show pictures on how there built AND the different ways to use it. It's a Fluke killer.
When u fish the flats in the bay, use a 40 inch leader. Tie on a 4/0 kahle hook. Add 5 beads 10 mm. Slide a 4,3/4 inch plastic squid over that. Now add squid, Mack belly or whatever and a live killie.
Tie on to your main line 8-10 inches ABOVE the sinker.
Drop o/side and KEEEP IT NO FURTHER BACK THAN 30 feet.
Dead stick the rod.
A combination of this and the CHROME BALL...aka...DOORMATTER EXPRESS will get you he big fish. They come to the CHROME BALL. If they don't like what they see, they drop down and then YOUR DEAD STICK ROD gets them.
WACKM N STACKM
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, not quite as extravagant as the 2 posts above me but I make my own rigs but they're basic. I'll tie a colored teaser on about 40" of leader to a three-way swivel. A snap and sinker on the 2nd and attach the third to my line snap-swivel. Usually I run a 1/0 or 2/0 flounder hook in gold, my silver hooks seem to rust out quicker. I'll time my drifts to work 15'-45' of water or vice-versa. Usually 2-3oz will keep it down. Bring long squid strips, you can always cut them down if you're being short struck. I'll also run a variety, 1 each of white, chartreuse, pink and yellow. All have the pearl or reflective insert, with a few beads and a blade leading it. Sometimes a B2 squid instead of the skirt. Bait, along with the squid, is either live killies or frozen shiners. Last trip out my son and I had over 30 flounder but only 1 keeper. As the tide went from incoming to slack to just starting to go out, the flounder changed preference from pink to chartreuse to white. We also did better around structure but the only keeper came off of smooth bottom-go figure. I opted for quantity over quality that day to keep a 7 year old happy. Bowers, just south of Dover, has a ramp that puts you only a few miles from some sloughs and reef sites, same with the ramp at Cedar Creek. Lots of names on charts but I just look for bottom contours on the map, didn't worry where the "fleets" were and did just as well. Remember, fish can't read anyway to know where the map says they need to be! [tongue] I also usually dead stick 2 or three but hold 1.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've caught them as late as mid-October and some die hards I know have tripped over a few into November but by then they're deep and the presentation has to be slowed down alot.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi:
Flounder do change color preference as the season winds down and the tide/weather/turbidity changes.
I found tha pink and chartruse would be my standard starting colors this time of year.
I went to the chrome ball, becuae IT ATTRACKS lots mor fish, especially Flounder.
Flounder cannot see straight ahead. They see UP AND OUT . That CHROME BALL....DOORMATTER EXPRESS can be see way off.
Go to my website and see how the this rig is made and how to fish it.
WACKM N STACKM

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
AM

You must be in Brandons family of something cause you sure can adertise in EVERY post and get away with it.

DEAN who was told he could not mention the lures he sell in a post in any way. Gotta love the double standard.

G

·
H i:
No, I'm not in Brandons family.

I tell people who to build lures and how to use them in my site.

I'm sorry that you think I am advertising. I'm only trying to pass on my knowledge in the only way I know how.
The only other way is at the shows I go to each winter. I then give quick seminars at my booth or If I can, then 45 minute seminars in the seminar areas.
If u come to the Va.Beach show or the Mariland show,u can see the hows a nd whys of how to catch Flounder.
My way ISN'T the only way. It's the way I used ,to catch Flounder when I was commercial fishing over the years. I'm always open on how to catch them in new ways.
Pictures again, speak louder than words. So thats the
way I do it.
WACKM N STACKM

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sonny D. In another month, the anchorage may be your best bet in the DE Bay. The water has stayed warm pretty late into the season this year. In the summer, I usually fish the east wall of the anchorage up into Brown Shoal. After August I frequently head to the south side of the lighthouses or go deeper than 30' off the shoals into the deep water. I'm not an expert, but a vast majority of my trips produce alot (mostly throwbacks) flounder. LOL Don't ask me about stripers, I average 1 striper a year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts