Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REPLY FROM MY DELEGATE, GORDON HELSEL TO MY REQUEST THAT HE CO SPONSOR THE BILLS WITH BARRY KNIGHT:

Bob,

Thank you for your email. I am proud to co-patron HB150, as I believe that this
step is a long time coming for the menhaden fishery. I am still digging into the
details of HB151 a little deeper, as many see it as superfluous and unnecessary
once the regulation is transferred to VMRC. My opinion on which I have not yet
developed.

It is my hope that you will stay in contact with me regarding any issues or
concerns you may have in the future.

Yours in service,

Gordon

·
Registered
544 Posts
Emailed and had a call from my rep in RVA, Manoli Loupossi, he said he would reach out to the sponsors of the bill and let them know he is on board to support this kind of legislation. I have been helping Loup understand these specific issues for the last couple years. He is not a sport fisher and represents the majority of Virginians when they are first told of this issue, no clue. I am confident that as more citizens of the broader state are brought into the light, the harder and harder time Omega Catfood will have defending the indefensible!!!

R

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I sent an email asking for support from my delegate and senator as well. Gordon Helsel responded right away. My senator, Mamie Locke, however once again failed to respond to my contact. It is a shame that she could not take the time to respond!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Both these bills, along with the Senate versions (SB 98 & SB 219) will be heard before their respect committees this Thursday. Senate Ag will be the first to meet, approximately 1/2 hour adjournment of the full Senate. House Chesapeake Subcommittee will meet at 4 pm.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Both these bills, along with the Senate versions (SB 98 & SB 219) will be heard before their respect committees this Thursday. Senate Ag will be the first to meet, approximately 1/2 hour adjournment of the full Senate. House Chesapeake Subcommittee will meet at 4 pm.
Let's get a carpool going and get up there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Emailed and had a call from my rep in RVA, Manoli Loupossi, he said he would reach out to the sponsors of the bill and let them know he is on board to support this kind of legislation. I have been helping Loup understand these specific issues for the last couple years. He is not a sport fisher and represents the majority of Virginians when they are first told of this issue, no clue. I am confident that as more citizens of the broader state are brought into the light, the harder and harder time Omega Catfood will have defending the indefensible!!!

R
I went to school with Manoli and glad to hear he is on board and supporting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can't imagine DELEGATE, GORDON HELSEL is against any commercial fishing cut backs since his company supplies the boxes that fish are packed in (more fish caught more boxes sold)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Dear Mr. Collins,

Thank you for contacting me to express support for legislation that would transfer the regulation of Menhaden fishery to the Virginia Marine Resources Commission and establish distances from the shore that menhaden are allowed to be commercially fished, specifically House Bills 150 and 151. Yesterday, I signed on as a co-patron to House Bill 150. Hopefully, both bills will pass in the full House of Delegates and presented to the Senate for further consideration.

Again, thank you for your correspondence. For additional legislative information or to follow the progress of legislation, you may visit the Virginia General Assembly website at http://virginiageneralassembly.gov. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

From Senator Alexander

·
Registered
884 Posts
Will sell many more boxes as commercial fishermen will be catching much more rockfish and flounder to send to market also. These bills are pro commercial fishing.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Menhaden Bill in Subcommittee

HB150 & HB151 meeting location has changed to House Room 1 located in the Capitol Building and the time is now at 4:30 PM. The updated information for the Chesapeake Subcommittee is below.

Thursday, January 28th
Capitol Square
Intersection of 9th Street & E Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia

Chesapeake Subcommittee
Capitol of the Commonwealth
4:30 PM, House Room 1, Capitol

Reserved Meeting Room Prior to Subcommittee
General Assembly Building
4th Floor West Conference Room
available 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

If you are arriving early to the General Assembly Building we will probably head over to the Capitol at 3:30 PM to exit from the General Assembly Building and walk to the Capitol Building to go through security. Here is a map of the capitol.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/140f08aa001/992ba62e-37d3-495c-ab7b-8e877c16f70d.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
(These bills are pro commercial fishing)
mwills98 your exactly right it will be much easier and cheaper to control 7 board members at vmrc appointed by Richmond than to control 40 senators and 100 delegates

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Can't imagine DELEGATE, GORDON HELSEL is against any commercial fishing cut backs since his company supplies the boxes that fish are packed in (more fish caught more boxes sold)
What has that got to do with Omega Protein? Actually he is favor of changing the status quo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts