Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard that a tax was passed by congress that will make the oil companies pay 14 billion dollars more in taxes.

Guess who is going to pay for that?

I would like to thank the newly elected congress for taking more money out of the pockets of hard working americans. Congrats for helping to raise the already astronomical price of fuel to a new high.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I believe that it would be more accurate to say that the dems passed legislation that stopped the ongoing government subsidies for the most profitable corporations in the nation, which will mean that they pay more in taxes but why were they getting the breaks to begin with?
yet another defense of the dems from the so-called "non-lib".

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
We will pay regardless. Big oil and OPEC set the prices and we pay the price. Why should they get a tax break?

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
yet another defense of the dems from the so-called "non-lib".
It was not a defense. It was a clarification on a statement that I believe to have been erroneous.

Only the conservatives around here seem to believe that the truth is a democratic style defense.

BYRD, you are probably right but is it right for the weathiest corporations in America to get preferential treatment on their tax bill? I could see it if they were only selling oil to Americans but that is certainly not the case.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was not a defense. It was a clarification on a statement that I believe to have been erroneous.

Please tell how the meaning of the two statements below are different?

Heard that a tax was passed by congress that will make the oil companies pay 14 billion dollars more in taxes.
I believe that it would be more accurate to say that the dems passed legislation that stopped the ongoing government subsidies for the most profitable corporations in the nation, which will mean that they pay more in taxes but why were they getting the breaks to begin with?
As far as I can tell, BJ used big words and I used simple words. Any other differences?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts

Please tell how the meaning of the two statements below are different?

As far as I can tell, BJ used big words and I used simple words. Any other differences?
That depends on how you define "most Profitable". Oil companies sell a lot of oil (duh!) and when they make profits, the amount is very large. However, as a percent of sales, the profit margin of oil companies is about average for US businesses, far less than pharmaceutical, but more than grocers.

I prefer to simplify things, and just call BlowJob a liar...

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
These corporations have no special allegiance to us or our country. They will stick it to us regardless. So, in the big scheme of things, I would rather see that money go toward our govt. than into another multi-million dollar yacht in the Bahamas. What our govt. does with it after that is another story.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Depends on who it is going to. Unlike many here, I realize that we all have an obligation to pay for the services provided by our govt. When my pocket money goes toward subsidizing big oil I do have a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ok, I always hear about these taxes subsidies that that the Oil Co's get. Does anyone really know what they are? I'm not looking for I think answers but someone who actually knows what they are and what kind of taxes they allready pay. It always sounds good when you hear that they are getting hit with these taxes but is it really a good thing for us or just the goverment taking more money to wast.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts