Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE had been on this buck since early bow - Just found him in a ditch on our property. The guys combining the soybeans were shooting as they were working (til 9pm.) We had hoped that they were only popping off at does - we were wrong. They didn't even look for this guy as he was just off their field. It sucks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
[sad]That's the problem they let these guys get away with shooting past the shooting hours and they can shoot as many as they want. Sorry for the trophy being illegaly shot out from under ya. He would have been a wall hanger for someone!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
883 Posts
It is there livlyhood these deer are eating. So I do not feel like they are criminals. Not sure where that was shot, but in MD, the MDDNR is too restrictive on farmers and the deer problems. They (farmers, not average joes) should be able to problem deer accordingly without all the red tape, which is why so many do, beyond the law. I really feel bad for them, until I have to cut that check for that high lease to hunt they're land, or the big ole "NO" I get when I ask for permission to hunt....than I laugh as I watch they're crops and money get chewed to the ground. Sorry about the lose of that deer, he sure is a dandy!!! If anything, that should give us more fire against the Anti's. They can't do nothing about farmers and landowners, but that shows them what actually gets done and how much is wasted regardless of what the law says....Farmers don't care about the game warden, they shoot to kill when they want where they want. At least we utilize they game we take. Cmac, look at it this way, that opened the door now for an even bigger buck to come in your neighborhood, I hope you get em!!!
C.")

·
Registered
153 Posts
What county was that buck killed in? Also, I come from a family with farmers and I am friends with a lot of farmers. Every farmer I know hates the deer and will shoot every Doe they can, they would never shoot a buck like that and leave it! My bet is someone shot that deer from the road and couldn't find it, or got nervous and took off. Just my thoughts. Poon

·
Registered
693 Posts
Too bad the nice buck was lost as it is the does and young groups that are putting the real hurt on the crops (beans). Until you have witnessed the damage and had the bills to go along with it.
For the first time we are using crop damage permits and we will continue to use them all year long.
It is hard to imagine that we have such a deer problem.
One of the problems between hunters and farmers/landowners is that many only shoot the nice bucks and leave the does/young population unharvested.

Mark

·
Registered
299 Posts
if te farmer wants to shoot him he has that right.
the farmer i hunt on has 1 rule
-if it walks by you you shoot it. nothing lives.
he wants the deer killed, way too many. i dont agree with strict trophy hunting anyway, im a meat hunter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maryland has their deer regs all screwed up. deer season should really be doe only. Buck season should be every third year or only january. doe only would really scale down the heard. too many only trophy hunting.

·
Registered
299 Posts
the regs for most of the state are

2 Antlered
10 Antlerless

bow - Unlimited Antlerless in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince George's counties

so they are trying, just need to make people harvest the does

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,064 Posts
When some families live off of deer meat and I for one look hard for a place to hunt and help out the farmers by harvesting does. I struggle to even find a place to hunt. So I have no pity on the farmer who shoots deer with rifles at will and does not let anybody hunt who asks (with in reason) . Most farmers are around food sources such as Beef, hogs and chickens so why would they want to eat a deer they just shot to preserve their crops. I dont get it so many people want the deer heard thinned and does harvested but no body will grant permission to hunt. For the farmers who try and allow hunting and atleast eat the deer or donate I sympathize and crops should be preseved for income. My 2 cents as most days I just stay at home because I have no place to hunt.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Some of these farmers could give more access to ethical hunters and restrict them to only does. I for one would love an opportunity like that especially if he limited me to only using a bow. Hell, summertime crop damage permits even work for me.

I've killed three so far this year and two have been with a bow. Don't need a rifle in the right places.

DNR needs to start making a strong effort to setting up farmers with hunters with a stringent set of qualification guidelines to even qualify for the program. Make the farmers feel comfortable with the hunter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds to me like DNR should be fining some farmers for shooting past legal times. If they have a deer problem there are always clubs and individuals looking for property to hunt. Laws are laws!I've never read any thing in the Regulation book that makes farmers exempt! Look at what the cattle farmers have to put up with the bears around Yellowstone! Shoot one oif them your headed to JAIL.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Agreed, I know people that have lost $1000's inlandscaping due to deer. Do they also have the right to kill what walks into their yards whenever and however they want.

Didn't think so.

Farmers should play by the same rules as everybody else, otherwise they have NO RIGHT to complain when somebody breaks the rules and trespasses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The county is Caroline. they were using rifles - the report is different than a shotgun/ Muzzel loader. i think they were just taking shots at will. Both our field and their field are hidden and have no roads even within rifle range.
I still think it sucks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I come from a family that farms in Virginia and I have personally have been involved in damage permits. Call the local game warden and they send someone out to investigate. If adequate damage is obvious they write a damage permit for a month, which can be renewed if damage does not cease. Sometimes this last two to three months, just dependent on when crops come out of the fields. We havent had to shoot any in the past couple of years but when we did, the permits read, ".....does only no visible antler deer. Spotlights are allowed and rifles allowed. Deer either dragged into the woods or butchered". Distances around 200 yards with a spotlight it is very difficult to determine doe or buck. Farming is a tough way to make a living. I have seen acres upon acres destroyed by deer so farmers have to do what they have to do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.