Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a buddy gice me a used DF (Eagle) for use on my kayak. The cables had been cut when the unit was removed. So, I spliced the cable, took care to properly solder, wrap, and shield each signal wire, and got the power wires spliced together, and everything seems to be functional. But when I turned on the unit, the depth was clearly out of whack. I held the unit at about 3' then 4' and finally 6' above concrete floor (dry conditions)- and the depth read as 9-11 and 13'. I needed to try this prior to cementing the transducer into the hull of the yak because I understand that they are difficult to remove once cemented. Anyway, my question is this- are these readings due to the fact that this is being used out of the water, or is the unit being whacky? It was reading things like my hand and a small cup placed on the floor... I just dont know about the depth being off... thanks for any help.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sonar doesn't work out of water. Try it in a bucket of water or even better, an aquarium. Best is to go try it off a pier or a dock.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tim, My fish finders on the boat never work when the boat is on the lift...the minute they come out of the water I dont get a reading...dont know what to tell you other than try it in a bath tub? Pool?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to drag the cover off the corner of the pool... I just wanted to check before making additional work for myself. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah it will never work right outside of water. Most units have a depth correction function on them anyway so you can tune it plus or minus a few feet. I know my older Eagle worked well.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I had a buddy gice me a used DF (Eagle) for use on my kayak. The cables had been cut when the unit was removed. So, I spliced the cable, took care to properly solder, wrap, and shield each signal wire, and got the power wires spliced together, and everything seems to be functional. But when I turned on the unit, the depth was clearly out of whack. I held the unit at about 3' then 4' and finally 6' above concrete floor (dry conditions)- and the depth read as 9-11 and 13'. I needed to try this prior to cementing the transducer into the hull of the yak because I understand that they are difficult to remove once cemented. Anyway, my question is this- are these readings due to the fact that this is being used out of the water, or is the unit being whacky? It was reading things like my hand and a small cup placed on the floor... I just dont know about the depth being off... thanks for any help.
Give me the keys, you are not driving!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts