Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have been so helpfull with suggestions with my new yak wanted to hear some of the ideas on depthfinder installations. Is there a particular model that works best on the yak. I have the p-13 and all i need now is my depth finder and ill be ready for some warmer weather. Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

·
Registered
255 Posts
What is your budget?

Hummingbird and Lowrace have nice model that has GPS also and its $399 or less depending on if you get color or not on the humminbird. I'm a fan of the h-bird since it detaches from the mount and the mount also covers up the wiring underneath. it also has a small footprint and so does the Lowrance

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff, i plan on getting something in the 100$ range for the yak. I have a lowrance on my big boat and love it but i just need to see what type of depth im in when on the yak. I need more info on how to mount the depth finder sensor to shoot through the hull?? Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]willis originally wrote:
Thanks Jeff, i plan on getting something in the 100$ range for the yak. I have a lowrance on my big boat and love it but i just need to see what type of depth im in when on the yak. I need more info on how to mount the depth finder sensor to shoot through the hull?? Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Dave
[/Q]
Look at the articles section on http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com

There's a wealth of information there. [excited]

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Garmin has Discontinued the 80, but BPS still has them. Good news it that they have a Garmin 90, that is the same size with some cool upgrades.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When you mount the transducer inside your yak, you basically sand down a little spot where you want ot mount it to get cohesion. Make your self a little wall like a dam around the perimeter of the area teh transducer will lie. (The circle on the outside of a roll of Flourocarbon or mono leader works great). Buy some CLEAR epoxy, Clear and only CLEAR. Anything else will cause the signal to be wishy washy, and you will see depth but not fish. I found mine at Lowes. Mix it up and pour it into the dam and set teh transducer on top, and make sure not to get any bubbles between the transducer and the kayak. Let it sit up and try it out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up the cuda 168 from BPS for $69.00. I think it will work fine for what i want. Thanks for the install info and look foward to getting it hooked up.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts