Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Washington without a concession in hand, such as the demise of the jobs bank, which continues to pay workers who are laid off, sometimes for years. When UAW autoworkers are laid off, they get supplemental pay and unemployment benefits for 48 weeks. If they don't get their jobs back, they begin getting 95% of their pay and benefits from the jobs bank. Yes, this is true, but the Free Press reported today that the union is talking about ending the practice.

The Big Three want to waste taxpayer money to meet the demands of the UAW. Fruck em.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I was wondering, if the big 3 file for bankruptcy and have protection to "reorganize", does that give them the chance to at least try to renegogitate or eliminate these union contracts?

This creates a tough situation for the dems and I think that is why they punted the bailout for a month. They probably know the big 3 can not survive for very long with the unions but at the same time, the unions are big backers.

Am I right on any of this?

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Yes, the Democrats are influenced by the unions. Who doesn't know that? But the Big 3 also own thier share of Republicans.
Most reasonable folks see the writing on the wall, but the failure of the companys will have serious ramifications that should not be taken lightly.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I see it this goes far beyond management being Republican and the UAW being Democratic. If the Big Three fail it might be a sharp knife casterating the UAW. Unions were formulated to combat the abuse of the wealthy (Ford, Rockefeller et al) and was successful in the creation of a middle class. They have gone too far and need to be reigned in if the USA economy is to be competitive.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I'd certainly hate to be between 50-60 and retired from GM right now.

I hope they saved up a whole lot of money and didn't invest it in the big 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts