Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all! purchased a new motor (to me) 2003 bomb 250 ficht 3.3 litre engine have been told to use nothing but bombardier xd-50 oil or xd-100 if in extremley cold temps is it ok to use optimax dfi oil ?? as the fuel/oil systems are similar and also what should i expect to pay for xd-50/xd-100 oil as i have not shopped yet and what dealers/suppliers have reasonable prices on this item?? thanks for a reply. richard

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Richard,

XD50/XD100 will cost you whatever it's going to cost you at your local dealer. Only way you will be able to find it cheaper is to go online or take a trip as I did last year.

Last year, I bought XD50 in bulk for $12/gallon. I think retail 1 gallon will run $25-$30. Retail for XD100 will be $39.

If that's to much and you can get Opti DFI for less, you should be fine using it. I guess I'm saying I'd use it if it were me. In fact, most any semi or full synthetic TCW3-RL oil should be good. Even West Marine sells a semi-synth they advertise for DFI motors and BRP's requirement for the motor is only TCW3. I wouldn't do a straight TCW3 (dino oil) because even with the new Lubricity testing (Lubricity testing was added to TCW3 certification in '05), I don't feel straight dino oil will hold up to the heat generated in any DFI motor. Remember DFI motors don't mix gas and oil.

BTW, Tohatsu tested oils back in '04 for their DFI motors and here's the list they approved.
  • Tohatsu Premium Oil
  • Nissan Marine Premium Oil
  • Pennzoil Complete Marine Synthetic
  • Pennzoil Semi-Synthetic Outboard Oil
  • Mercury Optimax/DFI Oil
  • Yamaha Yamalube 2-M Semi-Synthetic Injector Oil
  • Bombardier RAM Ficht Oil (XD-50)
When I spoke with a guy at Tohatsu that was involved with the testing, he said Pennzoil Full Synthetic performed the best in their motors.

Almost forgot. As with any 2 stroke, carbon is the killer so make sure you decarb the motor every 100 hours. Also if your motor eats plugs, switch to Champion plug QC10WEP. These are Iridium plugs and BRP has now officially approved their usage in the 3.3L Fichts and DI motors.

- Dae

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've heard the fichts are pretty particular.

In my HPDI, I run Pennzoil synthetic.
They were before the Ficht RAM; which are pre 2000 motors. I was at a BRP dealer about a month ago and he said most of his customer were using BRP's XD30 in their Fichts and Etecs. When I asked him about problems, he said he hasn't seen an failure that could be directly linked to the oil used since the Ficht RAMs hit the market. That's motors hit the market as model year 2000.

Even though I trust this guy, I still can't get over the thought of using straight TCW3 in any DFI motor because of they way they work.

If you can remember, years ago there was a Mobil 1 commercial that showed how heat tolerant their synthetic oil was compared to a dino oil. That memory is still stuck in the back of my mind.

- Dae

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info everyone! am not trying to find the cheapest just a ball park $$ i did not know the dfi motors did not mix the oil/gas together like a conventional injected 2 stroke motor i am aware of indexing spark plugs & using a decarbonizer periodically to insure consistent performance-this engine will be a huge increase in performace compared to my old 200hp carbed v-6 omc. thanks again!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Richard,

When I spoke with a guy at Tohatsu that was involved with the testing, he said Pennzoil Full Synthetic performed the best in their motors.
Good to know as the TLDI uses the same fuel injection system as the OptiMax. However, I will stick with Opti oil as long as I can get it out of a drum for a reasonable rate from my servicing dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts