Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just shows how things go from bad to worse. this is on the northeast forum

i thank you all for your support and i went to the other links and that press release isn't totally correct
this i what really happened . . .

My dad
We went out fishing Sunday 11/30/08 we left the dock at 6:15AM after getting breakfast over at gaviolas with the other two guys that joined us on our trip.
We ran 17miles to Apple tree a wreck to try and find some bigger black fish and maybe some codfish. We pulled anchor3-4 times and never found the wreck or rough bottom.
we then moved 5 miles back to where we limited out on black fish the day before(Saturday) at South Western Ledge a big rock pile.We anchored up but fishing wasn't great, mostly begauls and only 1 black fish. so my dad wanted to pull the anchor and move up a little more because we were off the ledge. We started pulling the anchor but the anchor ball never popped up and this has happened before when we snagged something. We pulled rope in for about 15-20 min and finally got to the chain. My dad put the boat in neutral and came to the back of the boat to help us. We puled the anchor up and saw the lobster pot line, but he didn't want to cut it because it's the lobster guys lively hood and how he makes a living . then the anchor got pulled out of my dad hands because the boat was drifting so my dad let some rope out and told me to go to the helm.
he said "okay Cody put in reverse"i put in in reverse than he said "okay good, now neutral" so i did then he said"forward quick" and i put it in gear and added some throttle. . . and as i did he was standing on top of all the rope we had already brought in and the rope started going out as i started to circle around for another try.
My dad's leg got wrapped wth the rope and he went over i heard him yell and i put it in neutral. the other guy yelled man overboard as i watched my dad hold onto the gunnel trying to get it off his leg and got pulled over. I put the boat in neutral and went and got a throw ring and had the guys throw it to my dad as i went on the radio to call in a man overboard on channel 16.
i saw my dad floating with his head above the water next to the orange anchor ball and i started to head towards hima nd tiold the guys to get ready to grab him. . . they missed
i circl around this time my dad on my side
he was already under water but i pulled his head up and had both my arms under his arms trying to keep his head above the water
he was unconcious the boat was drifting and he got pulled out of my arms and was under again.
i circled around real quick and this time one of the guys got out a galf. they got his jacket and as they pulled to bring him in his jacket came off.
then i started backing down and got halfway to where i assumed my dad was and wrapped the prop with our anchor rope because the guys onboard didnt know to tell me where the line was so that didnt happen.
throughtout this i was on the radio with the coast guard and the other two gys onboard with us were shooting flares at the closest boat which we found out later was the viienne.
we finally got them to come over and by then he was already under a good ten minutes and unconcious. myself and the two otherguys on our boat were just yelling some many different things that i dont think the Vivienne new what we wanted them to do.
we finnaly got across to them that we were disabled and that my dad was still underwater straight out the back of our boat.
they grabbed the lin with a galf and followed it until they got to the bouy with my dad next to it .
they cut the anchor and brought my dad aboard and i am unsure of what they did after that.
I was now adrift and i pulled in all the anchor line and got two wraps off the prop but i couldnt get anymore off.
the reason for this was because the vivienne is a downeastern and cant go as fast as i could so i knew my dad would have a better chance if i coudl get hiom onto our boat and i didnt care how rough i wa sgoing to get him back.
the vivienne couldnt transfer my dad to a coast guard boat because it was to rough

i love my dad and i hope he lived happily and i know that he will still look out for me.
and all i wish is that the cold got to him before the more painful suffereing underwater

Cody A. McMillan

·
Registered
270 Posts
What a terrible situation. I couldn't imagine losing someone on my boat like that. I had a friend go into the freezing water one time, but we were able to get to him. He didn't have an anchor line and a lobster trap line attached to him like that person's father did. I hope that he gets through it okay. What a terrible way to see a loved one go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The moral, life is more important then trying to save a lobster pot line???

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is a sad story. Bad things can happen out on the water. Reminds me of the three guys who drowned at Petterson basin in Newport News. One fell in the other two died trying to save him. Hope the boy understands that it wasnt his fault.

Mike
The Nancy Jane

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
His name was marty he was popular on sportfishermen.com as well as his vids on Youtube ....the boat that he ran was WICKED and he was a hell of a fisherman he will be missed our prayers go out for his family

Capt. Mike

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
you are in my prayers, that is an extremely sad story

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow, it is hard to read a story like that without wishing there is something to be said to comfort that son. I suspect most of us have moments out on the water that bring us a little closer to our maker. It probably also makes us all think of our own losses.

My brother died this summer and I wrote a poem in thinking of him for his sons. Though he was a fresh water fisherman and the poem written about the little pond below his farm house where he fished, maybe the following poem will find its way to this boy as a bit of comfort from folks in Tidal Fish and in memory of his dad.

MEMORY BLESSED

Hands in dreams of memory blessed
make casts to fish unseen
While sunshine sparled ripples dance
and mallards tuck their wings

Onto the water cattails wave where
swimming ducks will glide
As fingers grasp the rod in hand
the shadowed largemouth hides

Bobwhite song and crickets sing
as turtle splashes log
On leg his hand finds muzzled cheek
of wet but cheerful dog

The moment glows of nature's gift
as finger touches line
And fish pulls tight the hand sets hook
bright smile and eyes that shine

He dreams the moment lives the thrill
of life and all it brings
While angels nod in joy to know
of waiting lakes and springs

For those who choose in faith and love
to walk His sheltered banks
Through praying hands, "my soul to keep"
in praise and grateful thanks.

Charlie
On the "Ms Cait"

·
Registered
288 Posts
So sorry for your loss, what a story but it sure sounds like you did as your dad wished....Prays be with you and your family

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is a very good example of just how precious every second is,and how quick it can be taken away.Trust me when i say this.
Live life to its fullest try to enjoy each day, In life there are no guarantees,This kind of wound never heals ,sometimes it doesn't hurt as bad as other times,But it still hurts, We will send up a prayer for your family,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Makes you keenly aware of 2 things: How precious life is! And no matter how much we all love fishing that being SAFE should always be paramount no matter how experienced a fisherman you are-- accidents are sometimes unnavoidable. I heard he was quite a seasoned fisherman!

I was deeply saddened by this and all of my family thoughts and prayers are with you!

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've walked this road and it's not something that I'd wish on my worst enemy. My father and I were very close....we fished together all the time.....but he to was taken in an accident in front of me and my oldest son. The pain and memory never really goes away but time does heal. The comfort I found is that God's grace is forever and he is endless. The bible verse that I & my family have found a lot of comfort in over the past years is Romans 8:35-39. Read it!!! You'll see, God Never Leaves Us! I pray his comfort upon you and your family.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts