1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Nice pickles! Glad the darts are working for you. The powder paints are pretty tough. They will still work with some chips if the chips aren't too bad. I often touch them up or even repaint them with finger nail polish if they do get chipped too much. I was out yesterday but didn't do a whole lot. Lots of catfish, three small rock and a 12 inch yellow perch that I invited home for dinner!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Hard to fish in the wind this morning, but still did pretty good in two Hrs. fishing with Jerry's shad darts. Orange was the hot color this morning. I caught three bass, and four pickerel. Gave the pickerel to the old man. All the rest were released. Thanks Jerry, your shad darts are great. Paint job held up when I hit the rocks sometimes. View attachment 188281 View attachment 188289 View attachment 188297 View attachment 188305
I haven't had time to fish for pickerel quite yet. Save some for the rest of us.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Capt.Nick, marshy Hope Creek is loaded with them pickerel. Right now they are the easiest fish to catch for me.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'll bet these would work well for the pickles. These are 1/4 oz. but I have 1/8, 1/4 or 3/8 oz. They should give a lot slower sink rate than the conventional shad dart of the same weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll bet these would work well for the pickles. These are 1/4 oz. but I have 1/8, 1/4 or 3/8 oz. They should give a lot slower sink rate than the conventional shad dart of the same weight.
That was the lure we used in FL. for Pompano. It was called Silly Willy Jig. I think I have a picture somewhere.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Capt.Nick, marshy Hope Creek is loaded with them pickerel. Right now they are the easiest fish to catch for me.
I never fished the Marshy Hope. I do love winter Chan Pike fishing though. I haven't fished shad darts in about 30 years for Pike. Too snaggy for me. They pick up leaves, weeds , branches, etc. in a lot of good Pike hideouts that I fish.They do work good though. It's probably the most used technique for Chain Pike in Maryland tidal rivers.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Anyone see the guy at the flea markets that makes darts and jigs using tin instead of lead? I bought a couple tin-head bucktails from him.
Caught a couple short stripers last week using them for the first time. Nice for shallow water trolling.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Used to be a guy at the PSG- Earleigh Heights Fire House show every year that sold tin lures. I think he was from PA, but not sure. I bought a few shad darts from him, but once I lost them never got any more. I always did OK with the small gold safety pin type spinners & 1/16 oz round head jig with a curltail grub on it for perch, crappies & pickerel. The small 00 size Tony spoons work too. :yes:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jim, you should see the safety pin spinner Jerry sent me to try out. It is a great light bait. I know it will be good for perch. I already know it is good for crappie and bass. I used it yesterday. Yesterday I caught one yellow perch, about 5-or 6 bass, and a few crappies. It was so windy, I didn't even feel like taking any pictures. Had a very hard time controlling my cast and lure in the wind.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Glad the spinnerbait worked for you. I haven't had too much opportunity to use them because I have been chasing rockfish when time and weather has permitted, but I have caught some white and yellow perch on them. They are supposed to be for crappie but I got the mold specifically to make them for perch. I can see where that 1/16 oz. with the safety pin and spinner blade would have some problems casting in the wind. The 1/8 oz. should be a little better in the wind. I am hoping to get out next week specifically to chase some yellow perch if time and weather work out.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad the spinnerbait worked for you. I haven't had too much opportunity to use them because I have been chasing rockfish when time and weather has permitted, but I have caught some white and yellow perch on them. They are supposed to be for crappie but I got the mold specifically to make them for perch. I can see where that 1/16 oz. with the safety pin and spinner blade would have some problems casting in the wind. The 1/8 oz. should be a little better in the wind. I am hoping to get out next week specifically to chase some yellow perch if time and weather work out.
Jerry, I caught a few yellows on the 1/16 orange dart this morning. I gave it up because of 20 mile winds. Made it feel real cold and couldn't control lures. I could use a Doz. white body darts and a Doz. yellow body darts. Split them with 1/16 and 1/8. The hair can be white or yellow. OK?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts