Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out from Sandy Point on Thursday with friends Chuck , Mike and Mike's dad - Mike. We launched at 7:15 - plan to fish the outgoing current.

Bay was flat and we soon were catching Spot on last of incoming current. Ran north to area that has been holding a few Rock. With one Rock limit ( recs ) - gives plenty of time to look around for better fish. The |S\pot in livewell were nice 6-7 inchers that 22 and larger Rock seem to take. Smaller Rock will hit them but tough to hook on this size Spot.

Found a few scattered marks in 30feet and set anchor. We baited up and fished 4 rods - current j\ust starting. Younger Mike had solid hit but Rock tore Spot from hook. Damn.

One other boat was close - good friend. They got one about 22 inches. Charterboat came near and circled about 8 knots. IMHO - total douche move. They then anchored nearby for about 10 minutes before pulling anchor and running north.

Current was now perfect - but no big fish biting. We had a few small Rock beat up the Spot. Gave it about 30 minutes - then ran to east bridge. Current here was good - only a few boats. Not best of sign but we tried a bunch of pilings. Few small Rock hit the Spot but no hook ups.

Made some calls - friends not doing anything in areas I was thinking of. Decided to go back to near Baltimore light and try last of out going. We got anchored up all alone - few small Rock hitting but no hook ups. Friend stopped by to give us more Spot - very good angler that threw in towel. Being calm - he had fished a lot of areas , one fish.

Current was moving well so added weight to 2 lines. Had a hit and this Rock was pulling line off bait runner - finally. Handed rod to older Mike - he engaged reel and had nice fight with a 25 incher. I had net ready - like fishing with my dad. Not a word said - just two anglers that have seen this before. Mike handled fish like pro he is - guiding it right to net.

Talk about a trip maker. It was about 1:00 and first one in box. No more hits so pulled anchor and idled slowly to look for fish. None around so went all in at bridge. Easy run down - felt good as it was getting hot. We worked a lot of pilings - few half hearted hits as current died.

Packed it in about 2:30 - crew still upbeat which shows good fishermen. I cringed as having promised to take someone out Friday to show livelining.

Friday: Met a guy off Face Book - he was asking about live lining. Met Janis at Sandy Point at 7 am. Predicted south at 10-15 gusting 20 by noon. Current would be incoming about 8 am. Figured with wind / current together would be fishable.

Janis has a boat and has done OK trolling but live lining new adventure. I did not dare tell him how tough yesterday was. We had nice bite of Spot on bloodworm ( Clydes ). Only few boats out as white caps were starting to form. Debated trying the bridge but that is tough , even tougher in rough seas and new live liner.

Ran north at 25 knots - looking over shoulder as waves were forming. Found fish after about 10 minutes of looking. Put X on GPS and went south about 250 feet. Love the read out to X on GPS.
Dropped anchor and missed the X by a lot. Adjusted anchor drop and this time was about 50 feet off. Had 250 feet of rode out - figured boat would be swaying near fish , plus they tend to move around.

With boat anchored , wind blowing - time to fish. Showed Janis how to hook the Spot , proper size hook , leader , etc. Lob cast the biggest Spot in well and showed Janis to let line go freely off reel so Spot could swim down. Wind was blowing the braid in a long arc - making it tough to feel Spot.

My line came tight real fast - I told Janis I had a bite. Explained how to point rod at fish and engaged reel. Line came tight and lifted rod up slowly - fish pulling back. Had Rock about 1/2 way to boat and hook pulled - damn.

Janis got hit but let instinct better of him - he set hook. We both baited up and soon were getting hits. One Rock tore Spot off - next one folded circle hook into Spot. I was happy just to be getting hits after yesterday mess.

Next fish took my Spot and stayed on. Nice one about 29 / 30 inches. I let Janis fish - fine tuning how he presented Spot. He paid good attention and hooked a nice 24 incher. I was glad as wind had picked up and shifted slightly.

With Rock in box - it was about 9 am. What a difference a day made. We tried for Perch on way back - stopping at 4 spots. Got some small Perch and few more Spot on Spot stripes.

Wind began to gust as predicted so we ran back in about 11:30 - figure beat the Friday / holiday traffic.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
The wind was howling where we were yesterday too Skip. Took your advice and fished the face of rocks instead of a sheltered area and it paid off. I was sitting here in my chair with the living room rocking, we got beat the hell up out there yesterday. The swing off 2 anchors wasn't too bad but still something we had to deal with.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Went out from Sandy Point on Thursday with friends Chuck , Mike and Mike's dad - Mike. We launched at 7:15 - plan to fish the outgoing current.

Bay was flat and we soon were catching Spot on last of incoming current. Ran north to area that has been holding a few Rock. With one Rock limit ( recs ) - gives plenty of time to look around for better fish. The |S\pot in livewell were nice 6-7 inchers that 22 and larger Rock seem to take. Smaller Rock will hit them but tough to hook on this size Spot.

Found a few scattered marks in 30feet and set anchor. We baited up and fished 4 rods - current j\ust starting. Younger Mike had solid hit but Rock tore Spot from hook. Damn.

One other boat was close - good friend. They got one about 22 inches. Charterboat came near and circled about 8 knots. IMHO - total douche move. They then anchored nearby for about 10 minutes before pulling anchor and running north.

Current was now perfect - but no big fish biting. We had a few small Rock beat up the Spot. Gave it about 30 minutes - then ran to east bridge. Current here was good - only a few boats. Not best of sign but we tried a bunch of pilings. Few small Rock hit the Spot but no hook ups.

Made some calls - friends not doing anything in areas I was thinking of. Decided to go back to near Baltimore light and try last of out going. We got anchored up all alone - few small Rock hitting but no hook ups. Friend stopped by to give us more Spot - very good angler that threw in towel. Being calm - he had fished a lot of areas , one fish.

Current was moving well so added weight to 2 lines. Had a hit and this Rock was pulling line off bait runner - finally. Handed rod to older Mike - he engaged reel and had nice fight with a 25 incher. I had net ready - like fishing with my dad. Not a word said - just two anglers that have seen this before. Mike handled fish like pro he is - guiding it right to net.

Talk about a trip maker. It was about 1:00 and first one in box. No more hits so pulled anchor and idled slowly to look for fish. None around so went all in at bridge. Easy run down - felt good as it was getting hot. We worked a lot of pilings - few half hearted hits as current died.

Packed it in about 2:30 - crew still upbeat which shows good fishermen. I cringed as having promised to take someone out Friday to show livelining.

Friday: Met a guy off Face Book - he was asking about live lining. Met Janis at Sandy Point at 7 am. Predicted south at 10-15 gusting 20 by noon. Current would be incoming about 8 am. Figured with wind / current together would be fishable.

Janis has a boat and has done OK trolling but live lining new adventure. I did not dare tell him how tough yesterday was. We had nice bite of Spot on bloodworm ( Clydes ). Only few boats out as white caps were starting to form. Debated trying the bridge but that is tough , even tougher in rough seas and new live liner.

Ran north at 25 knots - looking over shoulder as waves were forming. Found fish after about 10 minutes of looking. Put X on GPS and went south about 250 feet. Love the read out to X on GPS.
Dropped anchor and missed the X by a lot. Adjusted anchor drop and this time was about 50 feet off. Had 250 feet of rode out - figured boat would be swaying near fish , plus they tend to move around.

With boat anchored , wind blowing - time to fish. Showed Janis how to hook the Spot , proper size hook , leader , etc. Lob cast the biggest Spot in well and showed Janis to let line go freely off reel so Spot could swim down. Wind was blowing the braid in a long arc - making it tough to feel Spot.

My line came tight real fast - I told Janis I had a bite. Explained how to point rod at fish and engaged reel. Line came tight and lifted rod up slowly - fish pulling back. Had Rock about 1/2 way to boat and hook pulled - damn.

Janis got hit but let instinct better of him - he set hook. We both baited up and soon were getting hits. One Rock tore Spot off - next one folded circle hook into Spot. I was happy just to be getting hits after yesterday mess.

Next fish took my Spot and stayed on. Nice one about 29 / 30 inches. I let Janis fish - fine tuning how he presented Spot. He paid good attention and hooked a nice 24 incher. I was glad as wind had picked up and shifted slightly.

With Rock in box - it was about 9 am. What a difference a day made. We tried for Perch on way back - stopping at 4 spots. Got some small Perch and few more Spot on Spot stripes.

Wind began to gust as predicted so we ran back in about 11:30 - figure beat the Friday / holiday traffic.
Thankful you got them. Awesome reports.

·
Registered
15,187 Posts
Nice detailed report. It's getting harder and harder to catch rock fish. There are just not that many around and it's not worth running that far North to get them. It's one thing when I can't catch them but a whole nother deal when you can't catch them.........Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts