Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m not sure if I will catch any keeper flounder this year, but it sure would be nice to know the difference between a summer flounder & a winter flounder. Also, what is generally caught here in the bay, summer or winter.
Thanks guys, overtime25

·
Registered
410 Posts
We catch summer flounder starting around the end of july. I have caught them in the chum slick while chumming for rock and catch them in cornfield harbor with bottom rigs and bluefish strips. The limit last year was 15.5" 2 per person. We got a few limits last year. If you look at the flounder from the top towards the head the summer flounder has left eyes and the winter has right(pretty sure). They love hard sandy bottoms with a lot of current and cut strip baits with green machine, white machine or gold spinner hooks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Winter Flounder are "right eye" flounder while summer flounder are "left eye" flounder. Winter flounder only grow to about 23" and 6lbs, while their cousins get much bigger. The best way I can explain how to tell the difference is if you have the brown side up with the head in your left hand, a winter flounder will have it's backbone towards your stomach. A summer flounder will have it's belly next to your belly. Make sense??

Generally speaking, summer flounder are caught in the Chesapeake from late April - November (although I'm sure there are exceptions). I've heard of winter flounder being caught in the Choptank, but have never personally witnessed or read of any reports. It may be a local secret?? According to a marine fisheries website, winter flounder have been reported as far up the Chesapeake as the Susquehanna River. I hear more substantiated reports each winter of winter flounder catches from the back bays near Rehobeth.

Rich

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Look at you MD guys talking winter flounder! St Patty's is the unofficial opening of flounder season. flounder has a tiny mouth, and is in addition to facing the other way somewhat more portly. Try this, put your finger in its mouth, if it doesn't fit its flounder, if it bleeds its fluke.:D
sea worms, clams, mussels and grass shrimp are the favorite baits for flounder. I'll be up in NY next week to get a couple. Much better eating than the summer kind.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The one that has a coat on is the winter flounder. The one with sunglasses and smells like coppertone is the summer flounder. I really don't know but I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was stationed at Patuxent NAS from 1967 until 1970 and we caught winter flounder right off the beach. A long time back but maybe a possibility.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I was stationed at Patuxent NAS from 1967 until 1970 and we caught winter flounder right off the beach. A long time back but maybe a possibility.
I would pay BIG money to catch a winter flounder in the bay. There are rumors every year about a few being caught of point lookout, but I've never been able to verify it.

Oh yeah, here's another difference: Winter Flounders have a lateral line that is almost completely straight, the summer flounder's lat line was a big curve in it around the pectoral fin.

I've seen loads of YOY winter flounder in seines and cast nets...but never the adults.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would pay BIG money to catch a winter flounder in the bay. There are rumors every year about a few being caught of point lookout, but I've never been able to verify it.

Oh yeah, here's another difference: Winter Flounders have a lateral line that is almost completely straight, the summer flounder's lat line was a big curve in it around the pectoral fin.

I've seen loads of YOY winter flounder in seines and cast nets...but never the adults.
We use to catch them in March and April in pretty good numbers nothing very big maybe 15" max. Are you sure what you've seen weren't hogchokers.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I always thought that if you caught one in winter it's a winter flounder and if you caught it in summer it's a summer flounder. Geesh! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Winter Flounder are "right eye" flounder while summer flounder are "left eye" flounder. Winter flounder only grow to about 23" and 6lbs, while their cousins get much bigger. The best way I can explain how to tell the difference is if you have the brown side up with the head in your left hand, a winter flounder will have it's backbone towards your stomach. A summer flounder will have it's belly next to your belly. Make sense??

Generally speaking, summer flounder are caught in the Chesapeake from late April - November (although I'm sure there are exceptions). I've heard of winter flounder being caught in the Choptank, but have never personally witnessed or read of any reports. It may be a local secret?? According to a marine fisheries website, winter flounder have been reported as far up the Chesapeake as the Susquehanna River. I hear more substantiated reports each winter of winter flounder catches from the back bays near Rehobeth.

Rich
thanks Rich, that is the best explanation I have had. It sure helps.
overtime25

1 - 13 of 13 Posts