Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you serious or just pulling my leg.
I have always just used cut eel but my personal best is only 30lbs

·
Registered
766 Posts
Make sure you use Hanes "to be sure"................other are only imitations of the real thing. Hey Onewyr we are die hard catfishermen, of course we are serious ! YOU need to come to the next JRCC tourney and fish it and you will learn a lot more there than on this BS, I mean FW Board, trust me on that one.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Spinabait has been catching a lot of big fish. I think he uses a specialty prepared bait. I believe this is it.

I prefer the James River Guide Super Secret Go-To bait assortment. Each one has its time and place depending on season, water temp, river conditions, weather, sun, moon, tide, current, boat traffic etc.

Some rookies use junk like fresh gizzard shad (live or large chunks). Some use live white perch or bluegill. And an occasionaly whole live eel or eel pieces. But then, what would you expect from a newbie? [wink]

Dayton

·
Registered
887 Posts
You guys are mean.
I use about 2-3 ft of 60-80 lb mono as a leader tied to a 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus style hook on one end and a large swivel on the other end. Run your main line through a fish finder rig/sinkerslide and tie on the the swivel. Use a sinker heavy enough to keep your bait down. Most guys use fresh gizzard shad whole or cut. I use eels and cut them in chunks. My main line is 40-50 lb test. A channel cat set up is different than this -Kepone

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
While he sleeps!!!![grin]

Kepone, I love you Man!!!!!! (Did I ever tell you how much I like to dove hunt)[wink]

Have your people call my people.

Dayton

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Lots of help from the Catfish Pros as usual.

I like to use cut eel sometimes. I like large ones at least the diameter of a quarter. I cut them in chunks about 4 inches long,make sure to put the head on your rod and not your buddies. I use 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks almost all the time unless I'm fishing for smaller fish to take home then I drop to a 3/0. Make sure not to sink the hook to deep in the bait, eel is very tough so you only need to hook it a little.

For cutbait shad,herring and such I like large chunks also hooked lightly. You must cast these easily to keep the bait from coming off the hook.

I also ketch a lot of nice fish on live white perch.

I don't use liver,hotdogs,catfood of bubblegum.

As for the rig s I use,two basic rigs. The rig I use the most is a fishfinder. Use enough weight to keep the bait put in the current. The stronger the current and the larger the peice of bait the more weight you will need. Slide the sinker on your mainline,I use 30 or 40 pound,then a small bead to keep the sinker from pounding on your knot and tie on a medium sized barrel swivel. Then depending on the area I'm fishing I use either 50 pound or 80 pound for the leader to the hook. I use 50 pound about 30 inches when fishing areas I don't get hung a lot to get better bait movement. I use about 18 inches of 80 pound when fishing around heavy cover to keep from getting hung.

The other rig I use is a 3 way swivel rig. Tie the 3 way on your mainline, a short length of leader to your sinker that is lighter than your mainline(when the sinker gets hung you can sometimes break it off and not loose everything)and then the smae leader to hook setup as above. I like to get very close to cover and fish this rig right beside the boat using a heavy sinker to keep it in place.

If you have any other questions send me a bmail, I'll be glad to help if I can.

DEAN

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright guys I haven't read any replys yet just read b-mails and I have a sense of humor so i think I can handle it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the "help". now i just gotta learn when, where, and how to throw a cast net. any help would be appreciated.

as a matter of fact if you guys just wanna go fishing for me that wouyld be nice too. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
just kidding

·
Registered
556 Posts
sorry ketch but I really don't know what I am doing. I just follow spin-a-bait around to find the good spots.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know you guys were joking. I guess my last post was a failed attempt at a funny I will try harder next time I appreciate all of your help. how do I know where to cast a net for shad

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey Hey Hey! Don't knock panties. They are great for hunting. Not great for summer and sweating, but they slide nicely while shifting your weight in a treestand.[tongue]

Onewyr, what is you location? Let us know when you will be down here and one of us will show you how to throw a net.

Dayton

1 - 20 of 38 Posts