Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a digital camera for the boat.I need something simple and rugged.I would like to be able to post photos here also-more of the rigs then of fish. Nothing fancy-point and shoot is fine.Keep in mind my very limited computer skills-did I mention a SIMPLE to use camera.:p I sent Brandon a check (like I could use a credit card on the computer) to subscribe so I'll be allowed to post photos.I type slow so if a photo is worth 1,000 words-it will save me an hour of typing:D Thanks for any info. Skip

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
Skip,I bought a Fuji Fine pix A-210 a few years ago [3.2 mega-pixals].It take great pictures and has stood up well.Paid $145.00 delivered from a Camera Shop on E-Bay.I'm sure they're are better out now ,cheaper.[Mike]

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
The camera I use is a Nikon 4300 and it is easy to use. My wife and daughter carried it all over Europe. One feature that I would suggest is a zoom lens. It will allow you to take close up pictures and better frame what you are shooting.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Cannon A530. Been using one on the boat for 2 years and it still works great. Software is easy too! A lot of the pictures in Tidelines from the MSSA summer Tuna tournaments were taken by me with that camera. About $150 at Best Buy.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Skip - .
For the boat, unless you can keep it by the helm, maybe something waterproof like this -

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225&fl=4

On the non-waterproof ones, I got this Canon for my son last summer - great pictures, easy to use, good price.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductId=145516&cmArea=SC3:CG43:DP1600:CL142438

I've had good luck with Olympus and Canon brand cameras. But, as long as you stay away from the $49.95 cheapies, the picture quality on most is pretty good today. You don't need 5, 6, or 7 megapixels to post decent pics on the web - but most all cameras today are in that quality range, and they do allow for some real nice prints if you want.

An important thing is to hold the camera before you buy and see how it feels in your hands. I got my wife a subcompact digital for Christmas - just what she wanted, but the thing is about the size of a deck of cards and it's just too small for me to use comfortably.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Skip --

I swear by my Panasonic DMC-FX01. Runs about $300.00 but amazing lenses. All I do is roll the dial to the little heart (automatic mode) and shoot. We also have a Nikon D-100 which is a very nice full-size camera, interchangable lenses, etc. but the little DMC fits easily in a shirt pocket, even in the case. Only disadvantage is there's a slight shutter lag, but not as bad as most portables.

You might also want to consider an easy photo editing program. It makes it easy to adjust exposure, etc. My wife has a Mac and the newest version of iPhoto is superb and extremely *simple*. I've found a lot of the PC based programs somewhat complicated.

Here's two shots of essentially the same scene, different mornings, no digital editing, both just automatic point and click. -Shawn

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have the Olympus Stylus 5 - the older version of the 720 posted by Ralf. It's simple, takes great pics and is water resistent. It has extra gaskets and stuff that keep moisture out better than the standard camera.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Skip I got a Great Pentax that is waterproof to 30'.6.1 Megapixels great resolution. $300.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Skip,

Go to Ritz or another Camara shop to pick one out for yourself.

If you're wondering why I'm telling you this, well it's because it's for you. Anyone here can recommend a great camera but once you have it, it might not be right for you. From what you posted, I think you need someone to go over the features of a given camera so you can make a personal judgment on ease of use.

Now if you really want a recommendation, I'd say get one of the new Panasonics. Next is a Nikon, Fuji then Minolta. All in that order, but there are exceptions when comparing specific models.

- Dae

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Nikon P1

If you go the crabbing site, all the pics I took were with a Nikon P1 8 megapixel and those are just snaps uploaded in the lowest pixel-resolution. You can buy one for less than $300, it has a good zoom, point & shoot, very small-size, large viewfinder - love it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
disposable digital's

Skip,
They also now have the "disposable or throwaway" digital cameras that you can get at any CVS Pharmacy type place. Under $20 and might be worth picking one up to play around with and see if you like the whole concept. Andy

CVS Digital One-Time Use Camera 25 Pictures
1 EA
$19.99
$13.99
quantity

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Skip, the best pictures taken on this board are by Wild Bill. Bmail him for his choice of camera. When I move up, its the one I'm buying.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,316 Posts
Skip;

My girlfriend gave me a camera for Christmas last year for fishing. Prevoiusly I was a Nikon man. This camera has changed my mind. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 ...... 6 Mega Pixels with Image Stabilization with up to a 24x Zoom ...... I love it ..... fits in my shirt pocket and the lense has an automatic cover when turned off , has a 1 1/2 x 2 veiwing screen, many different modes and is very easy to use ....... it's not expensive either and the pictures are awesome. I take pictures on the trips I take and I've enlarged some to 8 1/2 x 11 framed them and sent them to friends that are in them ......... the clarity and colors are equivelent to 35 mm or better.

However, there are many cameras out there that can do the same thing. Things I would look for ......... at least 5 Megapixels because this is usually the 35mm eqiuivalent threshold ....... a good zoom... look at the optical zoom mainly, mine is 6x optical and 4x digital giving 24x. Optical Stabilization is important to me in a boat ... my previous Nikon didn't have it and many pictures came out blurry ....... an automatic lens cover to keep dust, water spots scratches off the lens ........ small enough to fit in your pocket for quick candid shots ...... large clear viewing screen for viewing pictures and selecting options ...... simple to use with both manual controls, automatic modes and preset modes.
You might also read the reviews of a specific camera on the net. There are many. My favorites are Imaging-resource.com, Dpreview.com and PCmag.com. ...... they gave my camera high marks ......

BTW......... mailed your picture today .........

Hope you find the right camera for you .........

Rick

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW-this might be tougher then I thought.Looks like thet are all good-I was hoping to see 1 or 2 cameras recommended repeately.Wish Penn made a camera-choice would be easy then.Please keep the advice coming my way-I plan to look/try each one.The good/bad advice is most helpful . Skip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts