Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Moultrie game camera for $100 from BassPro Shop. Not the cheapest but of course not real expensive. Can anyone give any tips..getting started...pros and cons on this or any other game cameras?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't have a moultrie but here are some basic tips. Try not to point the cam east/west, you could get some sun blocked pics. Some cams have slow triggers, if so, keep the cam pointed up and down a trail vs across the trail. If over feed then it won't matter. Make rain hood for the cam, any pie tin or similiar thing will do the job. This keeps rain off the lenses. That is some basic stuff but there is more. Chasingame.com is a great site for more info. Watch out, this stuff is addicting. I'm waiting on a part to build my first "homebrew" cam. Can't wait! Have fun and check out that site. Tim

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a moultrie along with another camera +- same quality and have mixed results because my original thinking was that the game camera stuff would be easy. As far as set up both cameras were set up by feeders for 6 weeks Jan. / Feb. and would guess that when the batteries lasted that out of an avg. 100 pcs. of squirrels, crows, dogs, *****, birds I got 1 deer pic. There are a few forums out there as mentioned w/ a lot of info. some of which if I would have listened too most lean towards building a " homebrew " camera.

My understanding is that the moultrie's have a sensor that takes 2 movements in opposite directions to trigger the camera so its better to place the camera low near a food source, scrape etc. to trip on the deer's legs. Oh yea, this of course will have your camera taking picture of weeds if the wind is blowing .... forgot to mention weed pics. above.

It took a bunch of good pics. of my dog in the back yard though before it went into the woods.

Russ

·
Registered
621 Posts
The cheaper cameras seem to have issues with trigger speed...........the designers must be idiots!

I thought that they all would be using a basic IR sensor (heat in motion) that have many applications. These usually react right away and I dont know where the 3-5 second delay comes from that these cameras have........making them poor as "trail cameras" versus "bait pile" cameras.

I also am looking into making my own camera as it should be quite economical as digital cameras, especially used, come down in price in the 3.0 megapixal range if numerous brands can be used to make your own.

I dont mind having these cheap cameras for bait piles.........but i want to supplement my 35 mm camera with a home built digital.

Mark

·
Registered
621 Posts
From the info that I have so.................

There are several suppliers and groups of people that are helping fuel these efforts.

The motion sensor should be one of the available or supplied parts for the DIY.

The specifiactions if they vary should be documented.

Iam hoping the cost savings comes from you supplying the digial camera for the outfit..........a camera that say is used or discontinued, bought on Ebay will cut the cost to be a better substitute for the Stealth trailcams..............and other base model cams (plus there shortcomings.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts