Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else is having problems with barnacles and marine growth? I busted my arm and haven't ran my boat in five weeks and have lost 400 RPM and 6 KNTS.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Steve what kind of btm paint do you have on your boat? A coat or two of ablative paint will eliminate any barnacles and marine growth.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Noticed that on several boats this year. Lack of rain is catching everyone off-guard with marine growth. Need more fishing trips.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
[Q]steve waters originally wrote:
Who else is having problems with barnacles and marine growth? I busted my arm and haven't ran my boat in five weeks and have lost 400 RPM and 6 KNTS.
[/Q]Missed the part about you not running the boat for 5 weeks. You need to run that boat to wash some of that **** off. [grin]

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the boat pulled and the bottom was spotless, the prop, driveshaft and rudder were covered with barnacles. Scraped them off and regained all lost speed and RPMs. Hard to believe what a few barnacles on the running gear will do but here is the proof.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
[Q]steve waters originally wrote:
I had the boat pulled and the bottom was spotless, the prop, driveshaft and rudder were covered with barnacles. Scraped them off and regained all lost speed and RPMs. Hard to believe what a few barnacles on the running gear will do but here is the proof.
[/Q]Do they not make any antifouling paint that will work on running gear. I found a apray antifouling paint which i use on the lower section of my outboard wher it mounts to the transome.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
[q]Camrey [/q]
I've had fair success using Pettit's zinc paint in a spray can for underwater metal. A couple coats will last half season and stays on props and shafts pretty well. I believe CRC also retails the same stuff at a lower price. "Fisheries Supply" carries the Pettit paint.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hauled my boat last Friday after not being able to get it up on plane Thursday night. 1" of barnacles on the props and shafts. The bottom was clean. First time I have had a problem. I am in the Senaca River. Also heard of two others this past week. I also had not used my boat for several weeks. I used several coats of Alumacote befroe returning it to the water, hope it holds up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts