Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have to have our DNR ID # written on our crab trap floats now? I was given a bunch that have sections of pool noodles for the floats. What is everyone doing to mark their floats? Seems a bit crazy that we have to mark them now. I get it for pots left unattended (which we cannot do anyway). But traps? We are allowed 30. Is anyone really fishing with more than 30 to the point that this is an enforcement issue that can't be caught at the ramp or when all the gear is on the boat?

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
all traps now must have name and DNRid# some put cell #'s on them too. Pool noodles are cheap bouys but marking them is a PITA. I got the bullet floats and cut them in half. Used soldering iron and burned name into them all. Then DNR id # thing came into play and just used sharpie. Have to go over the ID# periodically. Sorry but we all feel this pain!

·
Registered
40 Posts
i suggest you mark your pots with the DNR ID#. i was pulled over wile crabbing 2 weeks ago and got a Warning from the Police.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Since when? Did this start recently?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Started last year. All traps floats and trot line bouys have to have your DRNID #........... Gary
And your last name. The DNR man checked me Saturday and said "I didn't look but you know you have to have your last name and ID # on your floats. I told him we did. I also had a safety violation but he said he didn't want to ruin my day by giving me a $90.00 ticket. Advised me to be careful and correct the item next time out. I already did it.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
And your last name. The DNR man checked me Saturday and said "I didn't look but you know you have to have your last name and ID # on your floats. I told him we did. I also had a safety violation but he said he didn't want to ruin my day by giving me a $90.00 ticket. Advised me to be careful and correct the item next time out. I already did it.
There is nothing in recreational regulations that says you must have your name on a trap float or trot line float. Just DNRID# in bay and tributaries. You must have name and address in Ocean waters and back bays. I put my phone # on my 15" trot line floats in case I lose one. One blew out of boat 3 weeks ago and no one called me. So much for that........ Gary

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Was it Bruce Hunt?........ Gary

·
Registered
823 Posts
In my experience, like so many game and fish laws in the state of MD, its completely up to the DNR officers discretion and interpretation as to what they will enforce. Last year after the new law went into affect a friend was issued a warning for failing to have his id number and large enough trot line buoy. He complied with both prior to his next outing. What kills me is that 50% of the recs and commercials in this area are still not in compliance with the buoy size and id and we regularly see the same officer patrolling and inspecting the same area. The buoy size is more of an issue. You still have LCC holders using regular pot floats for trot line buoys. In the early season you have several people who run eel pots in this area and trying to figure out the eel pots from the multiple trotline buoys is almost impossible. Since the trotlines don't even have matching buoys let alone legal sized buoys. Real Cluster-F on the weekends.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
In my experience, like so many game and fish laws in the state of MD, its completely up to the DNR officers discretion and interpretation as to what they will enforce. Last year after the new law went into affect a friend was issued a warning for failing to have his id number and large enough trot line buoy. He complied with both prior to his next outing. What kills me is that 50% of the recs and commercials in this area are still not in compliance with the buoy size and id and we regularly see the same officer patrolling and inspecting the same area. The buoy size is more of an issue. You still have LCC holders using regular pot floats for trot line buoys. In the early season you have several people who run eel pots in this area and trying to figure out the eel pots from the multiple trotline buoys is almost impossible. Since the trotlines don't even have matching buoys let alone legal sized buoys. Real Cluster-F on the weekends.
You can't worry about what other people do. You have to know the regulations and comply. If I was right, I would politely show him the regs from the DNR website on my phone. If he still gave me a citation, I would politely accept it and go to court. A confrontation with a NRP officer on the water will not end well for you. If you have a problem with other crabbers, call the NRP and let them know about it. If you have a problem with an NRP officer, make a formal complaint. ........ Gary

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here's one I'm trying to figure out......I haven't crabbed in years but my boys want to go so we are going Friday. I have 20 traps, all freshly marked with my DNR id. I plan to borrow 10 traps from a friend to get me to 30. What do you do about marking them??? I'm thinking about putting a tag with a zip tie on his floats with my ID. Guess that should keep me in the confines of the law(not that I would bet anyone would notice the different numbers on the floats).

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Here's one I'm trying to figure out......I haven't crabbed in years but my boys want to go so we are going Friday. I have 20 traps, all freshly marked with my DNR id. I plan to borrow 10 traps from a friend to get me to 30. What do you do about marking them??? I'm thinking about putting a tag with a zip tie on his floats with my ID. Guess that should keep me in the confines of the law(not that I would bet anyone would notice the different numbers on the floats).
Or put a wrap of duct tape on the floats you borrow and write your DNR ID on the tape.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You can't worry about what other people do. You have to know the regulations and comply. If I was right, I would politely show him the regs from the DNR website on my phone. If he still gave me a citation, I would politely accept it and go to court. A confrontation with a NRP officer on the water will not end well for you. If you have a problem with other crabbers, call the NRP and let them know about it. If you have a problem with an NRP officer, make a formal complaint. ........ Gary
Good advice Gary, I agree, just venting on my perception of the inequity on the officers part. I respect the job that they have to do and fully support the laws weather I agree with them or not. Its frustrating when I follow the law and I consistently see others who either don't know or care about being in compliance, and the people responsible for enforcement don't seem to care. Almost two full seasons into the regulation change and roughly half of the people in this area not in compliance. DNR docks their boats up at the head of the creek and patrols this area daily. I usually could care less what others are doing but when I have to pull and re-lay my line because someone is using small crab pot buoys to mark their lines its frustrating. I guess its time to fire off an email.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Good advice Gary, I agree, just venting on my perception of the inequity on the officers part. I respect the job that they have to do and fully support the laws weather I agree with them or not. Its frustrating when I follow the law and I consistently see others who either don't know or care about being in compliance, and the people responsible for enforcement don't seem to care. Almost two full seasons into the regulation change and roughly half of the people in this area not in compliance. DNR docks their boats up at the head of the creek and patrols this area daily. I usually could care less what others are doing but when I have to pull and re-lay my line because someone is using small crab pot buoys to mark their lines its frustrating. I guess its time to fire off an email.
I agree. Very frustrating but not worth getting jacked up over............. Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.